Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good Lord blessed us with an AWESOME morning, didn't he? Man, it was beautiful out there! I got some pictures that I'll post later.

My bro called last night and we talked about what time he should pick me up to head to the woods. We decided on 5:15 since we're only 15 minutes from the property and he said the birds didn't start gobbling Friday until 6. We were planning to run and gun so we didn't need to get set up super early. 5:15 it was. Great. Well 5:15 came this morning and....no Jared. So I called him and woke him up. Said "Are you gonna throw some clothes on and come get me?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Fine, I'll go by myself." So I left the camcorder at home, grabbed the digital camera and headed out.

Got to the woods at about 20 till 6 and walked to my listening spot. Just like bro said, they started gobbling at 6 on the nose. One was fairly close so I walked about 20 yds down out of a clearing and set up. He didn't want any of my soft stuff but would fire up at the aggressive calling. Had him going pretty good. But it seamed as if he would NEVER fly down off roost. Finally around 6:45 he shut up so I figured he was on the ground. Started watching real close for him to sneak up on me silent like.

"Great...who is that?" A truck was coming up the gravel road on the property. I had parked my car in a spot where the landowner wouldn't have been able to get his quad out of the shed. "STUPID!" Went over and talked to him but he didn't need the quad. He was just checking to see if his buddy was hunting this morning. "GEE THANKS!" But he's been a great landowner. Our family has been hunting this land for over 20 years now and he has NEVER asked anything of us, even though we ask. We talked for about 20 minutes and he left.

Not 10 minutes later I hear a bird fire up close to my original setup. So I sneak back over and set against the same tree. Figure that this is a different bird from the direction he is coming. Gave him some aggressive cutting and he came in on a rope. PROBLEM: Property line fence between me and him. He got within 50 yds or so and instead of coming straight to me...across the fence...he went down the ridge below me and hung up at about 80 yds. Saw him strutting and heard him spitting but could NOT get him to commit and cross that fence.

"Live and learn," I tell myself. Tomorrow I'll set up down the ridge close to where he hung up and see if I can coax him over. Now I'll get cleaned up and head to church. Gotta thank God for the beautiful morning he gave us!

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
I figure you have been to church already. Once in Gods woods and you are now heading for where you gather to talk about his work. Sounds like you had a great morning with nature. Just waiting for those pics you promised.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Jmac, sweet!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jack

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As promised

This is a (not so good) picture of the dam of the 40 acre lake that was built on this property about 6 years ago. One of three food plots (clover and wheat) is on the right, on the bottom side of the dam. About 1 acre...maybe 2. There's another 5-6 acre food plot on top of the ridge above the lake.

Attachments

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is a picture, from the same spot as the previous pic, of the lake as I was leaving.

Attachments

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#3 - Last one. Kinda forgot I had the camera with me! Picutre quality is not that great. Sorry, people.

This is a pic of the lake from standing on the dam at about 5:45 this morning. Birds didn't start gobbling for another 15 minutes and didn't fly off the roost for another hour!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
JMac, nice pics!!:D

Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.