Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a buck I have been tracking for the last several years that I thought some might find interesting. All pictures are of the same buck. I added the first two pictures just to show his growth rate. The first simply shows a promising yearling. The second picture shows very good progress as a 10 point two year old. The third and fourth picture are both from his third year. The first shows what he looked like in his prime. The second, taken in January, shows him in very poor condition. This was due to being wounded during the alternative season in late December. Our neighbor had called and informed us they had seen a buck that had been wounded run up on their place and then looped around back onto our farm. We never did find out who shot him. We tracked him in a circle for a couple miles until he crossed onto another neighbor and we determined we weren't going to be able to recover him. Unfortunately, you can't see the wound in the fourth picture taken a couple weeks after being wounded, but we were pretty skeptical as to whether he would survive after losing so much weight. But, as you can see in the fifth picture he did survive to 4 1/2. Interestingly, he seems to show no negative effects in antler growth. This is somewhat contrary to what is generally stated, since poor body condition late in the winter is normally supposed to negatively effect antler growth. So overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood
Plant Branch Deer Organism Tree
Plant Tree Deer Natural landscape Fawn
Snow Branch Plant Deer Tree
Head Plant Black Natural material Organism

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
doosey

·
Registered
14,280 Posts
Interesting. I'd have guessed negative antler growth after being wounded. Amazingly tough animals.

Reactions: 20'

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Help us understand how you are positively identifying this buck. I have a buck I could make a case for going back three years but he is just too common looking to be sure.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
Great deer there, best of luck with him!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
Help us understand how you are positively identifying this buck. I have a buck I could make a case for going back three years but he is just too common looking to be sure.
Thats a good question, I have had deer I think "could be" the same deer, but I don't live on my place, and only have cam pics to go by, and usually have a herd of 1.5 years olds and 4-6 2.5 year olds that I could never say were definitely a deer I had on cam the previous year. Unless there is some identifying non-antler markings, I think it's a best guess sort of thing most of the time. I had a buck a few years back, I felt certain was same deer for 3 years straight, because of a strangely curled brow tine that was identical year to year, but I don't think that's 100% for sure either.

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good question. In fact, I sometimes hesitate to post these type threads because I know a lot of people will be skeptical, and it simply isn't practical for me to share all the photos and information I have on these deer. All that information combined goes into identifying an individual deer. Certainly, antler characteristics are a good place to start. Certain characteristics tend to be very identifiable such as beam shape and brow tines. Callaojoe mentioned a buck with a strangely curled brow tine. Without even seeing a picture, that is a characteristic that would very likely indicate it's the same buck. When I have a buck like that, I will then check the markings on the face, the color of the tail, overall body color, etc. and see if they match. I would look for these same things on the buck you mentioned possibly being the same for the last three years. To be sure, a person has to get decent color photos. I've found using all the same brand cameras helps also, because they will represent color a little more consistently than using multiple brands. Another factor I've found is that most of the time the same deer will show up using the exact same places every year. For example, the buck in this thread uses the west half of the farm. I have never seen or photographed him on the east half of the farm. I could tell you right now exactly what stand to hunt to kill this buck. I have photographed him many times in this location, and each of the last two years I've had him walk right under the stand. Overall, it is difficult to explain everything I look at, so I'll try this. Here are five yearlings, all taken in December of the year this buck was a yearling, plus another picture of him as a two year old. Look and see if you can tell which one has the same color and markings on their face as the two year old. Also, I've posted another picture of him from last year, taken at nearly the same angle as the picture from this year. Notice how similar the shape of the rack is.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,185 Posts
That's a good question. In fact, I sometimes hesitate to post these type threads because I know a lot of people will be skeptical, and it simply isn't practical for me to share all the photos and information I have on these deer. All that information combined goes into identifying an individual deer. Certainly, antler characteristics are a good place to start. Certain characteristics tend to be very identifiable such as beam shape and brow tines. Callaojoe mentioned a buck with a strangely curled brow tine. Without even seeing a picture, that is a characteristic that would very likely indicate it's the same buck. When I have a buck like that, I will then check the markings on the face, the color of the tail, overall body color, etc. and see if they match. I would look for these same things on the buck you mentioned possibly being the same for the last three years. To be sure, a person has to get decent color photos. I've found using all the same brand cameras helps also, because they will represent color a little more consistently than using multiple brands. Another factor I've found is that most of the time the same deer will show up using the exact same places every year. For example, the buck in this thread uses the west half of the farm. I have never seen or photographed him on the east half of the farm. I could tell you right now exactly what stand to hunt to kill this buck. I have photographed him many times in this location, and each of the last two years I've had him walk right under the stand. Overall, it is difficult to explain everything I look at, so I'll try this. Here are five yearlings, all taken in December of the year this buck was a yearling, plus another picture of him as a two year old. Look and see if you can tell which one has the same color and markings on their face as the two year old. Also, I've posted another picture of him from last year, taken at nearly the same angle as the picture from this year. Notice how similar the shape of the rack is.
Impressive!!! Tip of the hat to you Sir! Have you used “weather” ... wind direction, speed, temps, etc. to predict the movement of a particular buck?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Impressive!!! Tip of the hat to you Sir! Have you used “weather” ... wind direction, speed, temps, etc. to predict the movement of a particular buck?
Overall, I haven't really looked at those things very much, so my opinion on those things probably should be taken with a grain of salt. I have gone through several years of pictures to see when I get the most daytime pictures of mature bucks. On our farm in Chariton County, although anytime the first three weeks of November would be good, if limited to only three days it would be Nov. 11-13. One other thing I would say in regard to weather, anytime it gets cold with snow in December and January, I get very large numbers of daytime pictures, including mature bucks. We have a south facing slope that drops off into a creek bottom and the colder and snowier it gets, the more the deer flock to it. Most of our bucks actually move a fair amount during daylight, but for those that don't cold seems to effect them more than anything else.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
This was a pretty cool buck, had pics of in 14, 15, 16. Fairly certain same deer, he'd be on my place til about mid august, then move over to my neighbors farm and not be seen on my place after that. Friend killed him on that place in Nov of 16.
Plant Plant community Green Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Green Deer Vegetation Tree
Plant Working animal Natural landscape Tree Horse

Reactions: birdman

·
Registered
22,586 Posts
It is really not to hard to tell the same bucks from one year to the next, well at least 2.5 years on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts