beans didn't come up/?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Brander, May 21, 2009.

1. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    planted 3 acres beans on 5-13. went up 5-20 to plant 4.5 more acres. the first ones did not come up. I think the heavy rains crusted the ground over, any ideas on a solution for this?

2. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

eh was only a week........... mine took bout 13-15 days to come up and i planted mine first weekend of turkey season i think.....did you try digging any up?

3. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

When I planted mine it took them more than 7 days to come up; I think it was right around 9 days and they were just starting to sprout up. You might try checking them this weekend if you can. :cheers:

4. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    my BIL is going up this weekend and he will check them. Last year I had beans up in 5 days so it has me a little worried. Hopefully you guys are right.

5. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

[rquote=1271265&tid=89014&author=Brander]my BIL is going up this weekend and he will check them. Last year I had beans up in 5 days so it has me a little worried. Hopefully you guys are right.[/rquote]

Check my thread from last year - http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=58657

It shows my beans w/ 9 days of growth. I think you'll be alright. :2thumbsup:

6. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    we dont even have any beans in yet

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I've not sown any yet either. These cool temps have had me abit concerned about soil temps. Low soil temps and plenty of moisture can rot seed.

:cheers::cheers:

8. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1271265&tid=89014&author=Brander]my BIL is going up this weekend and he will check them. Last year I had beans up in 5 days so it has me a little worried. Hopefully you guys are right.[/rquote]

Soil temps have not been very high until the last week. They need warm ground to grow. Doubt there's many farmers been planting beans before the last week or so.

9. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Wait a few days, and then if you see a few and they are real bent and having a hard time, see if someone has a rotary hoe that will break that crust.

10. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    I got home from the lake this weekend and my BIL said there were some beans coming up as of sat. I hope this rain we had may have softened the crust up and the rest of them can break thru, I may try to run up tomorrow and see how they look and see if the ones I planted at the other place last week are coming up.

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Plenty of beans in the ground in this neck of the woods!!! This soft slow rain we got yesterday/today, will help those that got crusted in!!! :cheers:

12. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    Like mentioned above.. I would not get to concerned till later in the week or so........ beans can survive a lot and a small amount of crust if minor when they all gang up on a piece of dirt........ :cheers::cheers:

13. CodeRed

CodeRed tutoring the most interesting man in the world

May 31, 2007
    I got my beans in the last weekend of April. Was there this weekend and most of the beans were 2-4" tall.

14. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    I went up yesterday and they are coming up pretty good thanks to the rain. The ground was muddy and alot of them were just starting to pop up after 2 weeks. The 4 acres I planted last week at the other farm were coming up good as well.:claphands:

15. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I had some I sown last friday and they were coming up yesterday. As far as the soil temps, we were having volunteer beans sprouting in late April, course that was here in StL Co. I was hoping we didn't get a late frost and we didn't. :claphands: