Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Bean fencing

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  henry 
#1 ·
I started fencing a 4 acre plot of soybeans yesterday.

Inside fence is up and all steel posts are set for the outside strand.

Last year we used electric fence ribbon for the inside strand but didnt electrify it.

This year patrick got the idea to save some money . Him and his uncle ordered 9000 feet of white vinyl bundle and boxing banding. $70 for 9000 ' is cheap.

I put the posts 50' apart and just hand stretched it at the corners. It allows for some movement so it hopefully has a scare crow effect for awhile.

The stuff makes a noticeable noise when the wind blows across it. Sounds like that noise maker in crocodile dundee. Lol

I will post a pic later

#2 ·
No pic. It started raining just before I finished the hot fence.

Will have to use a protector of some sort between that banding and the posts. Just zip tying it to the post didnt work to well. It rubbed into on a post while I was there. Its patched and awaiting a plan B.

Reactions: fishshooter
#3 ·
Might be with all this rain the beans might get a good running start before they start trying to eat them in the ground. Much TSI as you've done you should have a substantial amount of browse.

#4 ·
I have always made sure to have enough cutting done periodically to have plenty of browse. We have lots of clover for them most years. They just love those new beans and since we started raising corn too and cut back on bean acres they hit em too hard to get the amount of growth I want for putting beans on .

Reactions: fishshooter
#6 ·
I'm breaking down and doing a hot fence on one of my smaller bean plots this year myself, tired of seeing dirt straws. Good luck with your project, keep us updated.
It worked for us last year. These beans were replanted late june.
Sky Plant Plant community Vegetation Natural landscape

#7 ·
I got all my posts set Sunday, gonna string wire this weekend and plant a little screening around the shooting house. I just hope we have real late season weather this year, last year was a disappointment to say the least.:boohoo:

#10 ·
Patrick checked his fence last evening. He wrapped his banding at each post and then zip tied it. His has been up longer than mine and is still good.

Reactions: trapperBR549
#11 ·
Got a new inside strand run this morning. Incredibly muddy work.

Beans are up so the fence being intact is important.

The insulators with 2 strands of brightly colored baler twine look like it will work .

Time will tell.

New clover is looking good .
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Green Natural landscape Tree
Plant Green Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Tree

Reactions: rat and tcwild
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.