base/rings

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by keithk, Nov 9, 2010.

1. keithk

keithk New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm looking at replacing the see through rings on my savage 110 .308 (flat rear receiver) with a new base and rings.

What's the better base, one or two piece? Rings, standard, dovetail, weaver?

2. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003

3. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    i like the 1 piece meself

4. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
  5. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    i nlike the picatinny(weaver) 1piece i use to only like the leo 2 pc but you get more eye relief and more adjustment ut of a weaver style rail

6. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    there are pros and cons for each style in regards to weaver style vs dovetail bases as well as 2 piece vs one piece. however i will strongly advise going to the Burris Signature rings when you select the ring type. the signature rings have a plastic insert that rides between the ring halves and the scope tube that piviots within the rings to perfectly align the scope so there is no stress on the main tube. you can buy aditional offset inserts to use to center your scope to within an inch or so of your desired POI without useing any internal scope adjustments. thuse keeping your scope opticaly centered to get the most out of your scope it has to offer opticaly in terms of brightness, clarity and ease of use. you can go onto burris web site and watch their video on how it all works. just opticaly center your scope before mounting it.

7. keithk

keithk New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks. A guy I work with likes the Burris mounts and I think I will probably go that route.

[rquote=1888245&tid=131534&author=JimH]there are pros and cons for each style in regards to weaver style vs dovetail bases as well as 2 piece vs one piece. however i will strongly advise going to the Burris Signature rings when you select the ring type. the signature rings have a plastic insert that rides between the ring halves and the scope tube that piviots within the rings to perfectly align the scope so there is no stress on the main tube. you can buy aditional offset inserts to use to center your scope to within an inch or so of your desired POI without useing any internal scope adjustments. thuse keeping your scope opticaly centered to get the most out of your scope it has to offer opticaly in terms of brightness, clarity and ease of use. you can go onto burris web site and watch their video on how it all works. just opticaly center your scope before mounting it.[/rquote]

8. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I have a Savage 110 and the problem many people have (including myself) is being able to mount the scope far enough back for proper eye relief. After monkeying around with a Leupold mount / extention rings, I finally settled for a B-square 1 piece weaver style mount and weaver style Burris Signature rings (cause I bought a new Bushnell 4200). Of course with a short action, you won't have that problem.

What kind of scope do you have or plan on putting on it?
    I think the Burris Sig rings are a great product for those wanting to protect the scope from the usual ring dents. Some day you may want to do some swapping and those dings can look bad if they aren't covered up by the new rings.
    If that's not a concern, I personally would not buy the Sig Rings. :shrug:

I think the 1 piece Leupold is still the old standby

9. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Talley Lightweight base/ring combo. There isn't much out there tougher than those things.

10. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    the big advantage of the signature rings is in the ability to overcome alignment issues between the fron and rear ring in addition to using the additional inserts if you desire to actualy site in your rifle without useing up all your internal scope adjustments. the less adjustment you use from the mechanical adjustments the more inline your optics will be and the better they will perform. that coupled with zero stress on the main tube and thus erector assembly can go a long way towards a long life of your rifle / scope assembly.

11. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1889046&tid=131534&author=JimH]the big advantage of the signature rings is in the ability to overcome alignment issues between the fron and rear ring in addition to using the additional inserts if you desire to actualy site in your rifle without useing up all your internal scope adjustments. the less adjustment you use from the mechanical adjustments the more inline your optics will be and the better they will perform. that coupled with zero stress on the main tube and thus erector assembly can go a long way towards a long life of your rifle / scope assembly. [/rquote]

Marketing gimmick :quackquack:

I'd like to the profit margin the molded plastic helps bring in :thinking:
    You basically make a 10 cent piece and jack up the price of the rings by 10 bucks or so :smiley:

12. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1889080&tid=131534&author=curtism1234]Marketing gimmick :quackquack:
    You basically make a 10 cent piece and jack up the price of the rings by 10 bucks or so :smiley:[/rquote]

i love how folks will tag something as a marketing gimmick when they have never had any first hand knowledge or use with them :stirpot:

they are the real deal, but that is just my opinion from actualy using them.

13. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I don't doubt they work the way Burris describes. It's like anti-polarbear spray --- it works but I don't need it in Missouri :pop:

We've been shooting regular rings for 100 years and even today new brands of traditional style rings continue to pop up.

Aside from the protection of the scope itself (which I bought them for), I just don't see a need for normal shooters to spend the extra money for them when a cheaper steel mount is perfectly fine.

14. keithk

keithk New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Simmons 3-10x44

[rquote=1889022&tid=131534&author=curtism1234]I have a Savage 110 and the problem many people have (including myself) is being able to mount the scope far enough back for proper eye relief. After monkeying around with a Leupold mount / extention rings, I finally settled for a B-square 1 piece weaver style mount and weaver style Burris Signature rings (cause I bought a new Bushnell 4200). Of course with a short action, you won't have that problem.

What kind of scope do you have or plan on putting on it?
    I think the Burris Sig rings are a great product for those wanting to protect the scope from the usual ring dents. Some day you may want to do some swapping and those dings can look bad if they aren't covered up by the new rings.
    If that's not a concern, I personally would not buy the Sig Rings. :shrug:

I think the 1 piece Leupold is still the old standby
    [/rquote]

15. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    [rquote=1889080&tid=131534&author=curtism1234][rquote=1889046&tid=131534&author=JimH]the big advantage of the signature rings is in the ability to overcome alignment issues between the fron and rear ring in addition to using the additional inserts if you desire to actualy site in your rifle without useing up all your internal scope adjustments. the less adjustment you use from the mechanical adjustments the more inline your optics will be and the better they will perform. that coupled with zero stress on the main tube and thus erector assembly can go a long way towards a long life of your rifle / scope assembly. [/rquote]

You basically make a 10 cent piece and jack up the price of the rings by 10 bucks or so :smiley:[/rquote]

Not a gimmick at all. I've got a Savage with a messed up receiver, and the ONLY way I could get it zeroed was with the Burris Signature rings. Using a one piece Weaver base, shimmed in places! and the Burris rings, I've now got it shooting like it should have been in the first place. Now it's a prized prairie dog rifle (.204 Ruger). I really should have sent it back to Savage, but it's fixed now, and killing PDs like it was born to it. Sometimes, the Burris rings are the only fix short of replacing the receiver.

16. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    [rquote=1890014&tid=131534&author=glennasher1][rquote=1889080&tid=131534&author=curtism1234][rquote=1889046&tid=131534&author=JimH]the big advantage of the signature rings is in the ability to overcome alignment issues between the fron and rear ring in addition to using the additional inserts if you desire to actualy site in your rifle without useing up all your internal scope adjustments. the less adjustment you use from the mechanical adjustments the more inline your optics will be and the better they will perform. that coupled with zero stress on the main tube and thus erector assembly can go a long way towards a long life of your rifle / scope assembly. [/rquote]

Not a gimmick at all. I've got a Savage with a messed up receiver, and the ONLY way I could get it zeroed was with the Burris Signature rings. Using a one piece Weaver base, shimmed in places! and the Burris rings, I've now got it shooting like it should have been in the first place. Now it's a prized prairie dog rifle (.204 Ruger). I really should have sent it back to Savage, but it's fixed now, and killing PDs like it was born to it. Sometimes, the Burris rings are the only fix short of replacing the receiver.[/rquote]Not to mention you can pre-tune the rings set the scope in place and then micro tune it to the bore site....

17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1890027&tid=131534&author=Big John]Not to mention you can pre-tune the rings set the scope in place and then micro tune it to the bore site....
    [/rquote]

EXACTLY what i DO ! :cheers:

that A-Bolt has less than 4 clicks in windage and maybe about 6 in elevation. i centered the recticle before mounting it then using the various inserts got the rings set up to where i was within 1" horz at 100 yrds and was about 3 1/2" high, after a few clicks it was centered and about 2" or a wisker less high at 100 yrds.