Barred Owls

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Chairman, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    While sitting here at the computer, next to a window, I can hear the barred owls hooting up a storm. Pretty cool ~ I sure wish I had a boom microphone, to record 'em with.

I decided to look up an old article I have archived on my 'puter. I believe I know what's up, now...

"Barred Owls breed early, with incubation initiated as early as February..."

There's times when I think I miss the conveniences of city-life ~ but then I have nights like these... :D

Geez ~ what was I thinkin'?! :bangin:
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They were doing an extra lot of hootin the end of bow season. Maybe they were feelin sexy then.

3. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    That's pretty neat stuff chairman! :cheers:

Sometimes we get great horned owls in the big trees behind our house. I can just sit there, with the window open and listen to then for hours. I am really jealous right now!:wink4:
  4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dont you DARE miss city life... I'll keep you updated if you really want to know.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

No thanks ~ I really don't want to know.

Actually, there's only one thing I miss about the city ~ pizza delivery...but only 'cause I'm a pizza addict.

The wife's going out of town next week, and she's gonna be gone for about a week. So ~ I went to the store today, so I could stock up on frozen pizza. And not just any frozen pizza ~ only DiGiorno's will do. :D

6. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Party at Chairman's place! The misses is gonna be gone and he's stocking up on the pizza. BYOB!!!
  7. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    I hear ya on the pizza delivery!:whinging: That was the first thing I missed about city life! Then Mc Ds is 28 miles away which sucks too!

As for the owls, thats :eek:. Years back we had a extremely cold winter and the Grey Owls migrated down a bit farther because of it. We were finishing a house and for about 3 days in a row two of them sat in a tree and watched through the window. I don't recall any vocalazations though. We later read that they were extremely friendly, and I sure believed it.
  8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Actually ~ I am having a small get-together, with a couple of the guys. We haven't nailed down a time yet, but you're more than welcome to join us.

We're planning on throwing some steaks on the grill, and get some shooting in too!

Steaks trump pizza... :D
  9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The only owls we have around here are night owls. You can hear their low bass sound rattle the windows as they drive by.
  10. fish

fish I love work. I can watch it all day.

Yep, owls are nesting right now, even as we speak, and rabbits will be born about the same time as the owlets hatch. Ain't nature wonderful.

Rabbits, the shad of the ground world.

fish -
  11. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Thanks for the invite! If we werent on a tight timeline, I'd probably take you up on it. Never been one to turn down food and firearms! Lords knows I need a break from this movin!
  12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    A few years ago, I found a couple of great horned owl nests in a couple of big white pines. easy to spot really.. I kept track of things and found a couple of castings under the trees. I'm sure you know, but castings basically are regurgitations of un-digestable things that these owls eat. I found lots of rabbit fur and bones in these castings. neat stuff. I will take pictures and post as soon as I can. Anyone else find any castings???
  13. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Do the Barred Owls taste like Barred Rocks?
  14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    And here I was reading this trying to figure out what the owls did to get themselves barred!
  15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

those would be referred to as "Banned Owls"... :hysterical: