Balloon Bobbers?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by buckbuster14, Apr 30, 2006.

1. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    Has anyone watched that mad shark series on ESPN? Well if you have, you should remember the balloons that they use on the lines as bobbers. Does anyone know how to rig one up for catfish?

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Are you wanting to use them like jugs or use the balloon float on a rod and reel?

What would be the advantage of either?

3. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    on a rod and real. What we were planning on doing since we go to the river a lot is go up in a cove and let the current hold it up. I think it would help if the bait were halfway down inted of right on the bottom.

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    We fish like that a lot but we just use big bobbers. However, I could see the advantage to using balloons if the bait was extremely heavy as it would hold the bait up better than the bobber. I might try using a 3 sided swivel. Tie the line from your reel to one, a string tied to the balloon on one and then a leader with your weight and hook on the third. There might be an easier way but I'm not familiar with it. You may have a hard time finding those swivels. (not to mention there would now be 3 knots - weak spots - in your line instead of just the knot at the hook.)

5. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I have ballon fishing several time but mostly for shark and then some bass when fishing with large shiners.
    I attach the ballon directly to the line by tieing it and then utilizing a tooth pick if need be to hold it in a specific depth.

You want it to release and go away after a strike and hook-up-----:cheers: