Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old buddy Ted Nugent had a Guy ask him if he considerd hunting over Bait unethical :roll2:

Well I have to agree with what Ted said.If your hunting over a Corn or Soybean Field it is Baiting,if you are hunting by a Oak Tree and there is Acorns on the ground it is Baiting,if your hunting by a tree with ripe Persimmons it is Baiting.You get the idea.

But one other thing I thought of with Missouri going to four point rule,it gives you more time to look the Deer over,plus gives you a chance of taking a better killing shot.

Plus it gives Guys like me that have ground far too rocky to be putting Food Plots in a chance of getting Grain out.

Ok whats your Guys take on this??

oneshot
:D The Big Grin loves Popcorn.:pop:

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
I saw that show, and the look on his face and the distent in his voice was pricless.

It took me a few years to get used to the idea up in Michigan, but I finally came to the conclusion that baiting is just fine if you choose to do so. My own personal experience with it though led me to believe that with too much baiting the deer will go nocturnal when they feed on them.

I'll bet someone this starts a long:***: argument too, everyone seems to be in an argumentative mood lately.

So here is my pre-emptive :moon: when it for when it starts.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I lived in an area that baiting got out of contol. The weeks before gun season if you found fresh tracks they would lead you to a corn pile. It became useless to walk into remote areas unless you took bait and a lot of it because those deer migrated to areas that had more hunting pressure thus more corn piles. Basically everyone baited. Some that did not just ended up shooting deer between others corn piles. They made a 2 gallon limit on bait but you would find hundreds of pounds in piles. Some guys were fined for truckloads! It turned out to be a way for the Wally Opening Weekenders to just come up drop hundreds of pounds of corn and shoot deer that if they needed to scout or know how to hunt they would not have shot. Also the young bucks got shot off because they were used to eatting at them as fawns and were not bothered. Then BANG! Like you and Ted I don't see an ethics problem but am against baiting as it is a slippery slope between a hunting aid and a way of hunting.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,377 Posts
I've never hunted over bait, but I'd like to give it a try. Sure, it's less of a challenge, but I have enough challenges in my life. Hunting is for relaxing and having fun.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,903 Posts
Its a pretty far stretch to compare hunting over a bean or corn field that is 100 acres in size to hunting over a a spot where a 100 lbs. of corn gets poured on a consistent basis year around. I for one hope it never becomes legal in Missouri.

In this case I am just fine if having baiting be illegal forces someone out of the sport.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
No comparison at all........corn field to pile O corn..........if you think those two are on in the same then your head is prolly full of corn.

Sittin in front of a pile of corn with a gun in your hands....

Come On man...........you call that huntin????

That aint huntin.....thats just killin'.

·
1,294 Posts
I agree there is no comparison of a pile to a field. Not even close, but if someone chooses to hunt that way I don't care. I for one, prefer the challenge of scouting, and learning the habits of the critter you are pursuing. I also could not see my adrenaline pumping as much when a deer walks to the bait in front of me versus a deer coming down a trail I had scouted during the summer and so carefully and strategically placed a stand near.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
There is a comparison... you may not want to admit it.. Answer me this one question and ill be done... all i want is a reply to this one question:

First a statement we all know to be true. When you use a feeder that has corn or whatever else in it, and use it all year long, you are tring to get deer / turkey to come there...

So when you plant a food plot of soy beans / corn / whateverthehelloyouwannaplant and TAKE LOTS OF GAME CAM PICS OF DEER AND TURKEY AND BRAG ABOUT IT ALL YEAR AND THEN HUNT OVER IT, you are:

Not trying to get deer / turkey to come there...?

Seems pretty much the same to me...

·
5,632 Posts
Reb, you're being daggumed stubborn again.

Area of food = 2ft diameter

OR

Area of food = 1/2 mile diameter.

BIG difference whether you want to admit it or not.

Shoot, even if it was 2 ft compared to 200 ft...there's a huge difference. If I'm bow hunting, I can't set up at one end and shoot something 67 yds away. I CAN set my stand up over a pile of corn and shoot whatever comes to it.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i took a friends boy out to kill his first bowkill one year to a place that had cleaned out its hopper of a combine.it was a pile about three feet tall and about twenty five feet around mixed with beans and corn,mainly corn.i made him up a ground blind twenty yards from it and let him have at it.it was pretty comical,they would come in pretty alert and was jumping the string on him everytime he shot.he hunted it for about five days before the deer quit coming to it.there is no doubt they were drawn to it but were really wary.they would eat from it for awhile and then continue out in the corn stubble field.he ended up killing a doe ,but we had to change tactics,we went back to setting up where the deer enter to go to the field or pile of corn whichever you want to call it .i watched that pile for the rest of the season from about three hundreds yards away and never seen a mature buck go to it,seen some in the field but never there.so to me in a way there isn't much difference in planting food plots or throwing a pile a corn out.in the long run it would prolly be cheaper to a buy a couple of truckloads of corn and pile it up and feed them.than go to all the trouble of fertilizing,planting,mowing,etc.but to me around here we have stuff laying on the ground the deer can eat,but the guys down south would be a different story.i think it is up to the individual and what stlye they like.and before some you guys say i was setting a bad example to that kid hunting illegally like that.it was legal to hunt like that, because the farmers had done it and it wasn't considered bait,so if you want to try it legally go talk to your farmer buddy.me i'll keep watching big ole tall grass fields and put the stalk on them.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire

OR

Shoot, even if it was 2 ft compared to 200 ft...there's a huge difference. If I'm bow hunting, I can't set up at one end and shoot something 67 yds away. I CAN set my stand up over a pile of corn and shoot whatever comes to it.
Ok I'll play too.

That dog don't hunt, Baiting is baiting no matter the size or shape , personally I feel its a cop out excuse to make it ok for yourself. I have a 20x20ft food plot in, planted it, fertalized and it's growing real live plants, is that baiting to you?

Those who strongly apose bating are telling me they don't put out mineral blocks and or other salt licks and protein blocks?

Sure one could just dump some bait anywhere and hope like heck deer come to it, but I'd bet alot the same scouting and preperations are taken.

In reference to bow hunting and baiting are you telling me that deer that come to bait are dumber when they come to bait then they are when they go to a food plot? They forget about scent checking the area? Don't spook to movement and noise?

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
Reb, you're being daggumed stubborn again.

OR

Stubborn or not.........

your right with a bow you might not be able to cover the entire area, but you know what... if you have a food plot intended to feed your animals and you scout it out correctly and find a trail used very heavily leading TO YOUR BAITED AREA (FOOD PLOT), dont tell me you wouldnt put your bow stand over it...........

:D:D:D

·
27,514 Posts
That's a good point belevly about the minerals. It's perfectly legal to go to a store, buy a salt block or deer cocain, etc.... and put this stuff out where it is not natural. Then you can hunt over it. Now how is that not baiting?

Personally, I have hunted over bait in TX. I was hog hunting but the deer would come in too. Never saw a single buck. All were does and their fawns. And to be honest with yall, if I had a deer tag, I'd probably filled it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is very simple, the DNR in most states say that a food plot is not baiting while pouring corn on the ground is. I see that as what defines what baiting is.
As far as the pro's and con's. I live in the upstate of SC where baiting is illegal while in the low state it is. Every year more and bigger deer are taken from the upstate where baiting is not allowed. There is a good write up on a study performed on SC and is documented in the latest "Whitetail News". It goes in to detail showing that hunters in the upstate hunt less hours to harvest a deer compared to the ones who hunt over bait. It also goes into how detriemental baiting is overall to the heard. A very good article.

My 2 cents is if you want to hunt over bait why not hunt cattle? It seems to be about the same, and look at all the meat you would get in one kill. If you want hunting to be easy this would be it for you. Enough meat for a entire year with just one hunt.

And Blevely I do not plant food plots,put out salt/mineral blocks or hunt over bait. So I am not being a hypocrite on this issue.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
just curious,how is it deriemental to the overall herd?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.