Bait trap suggestions

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Hooks, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    I am trying to get geared up for running lines this Spring and wanted to be able to spend less time trying to catch bait.
    Do any of you have any suggestions on perch bait traps that really work? Don't necessarily have to be lake regulations legal as I have a couple ponds i can drop them in.

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I've had good luck with clover leaf style traps. Far as bait I've used a piece of Styrofoam along with bread and powerbait. Seems to me once you get a few in more come to investigate. Last year when I went to pull the trap there was a big channel cat watching over it for me, I almost felt sorry for him.

3. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Have you ever thrown a cast net? Throw out some bait where you want the perch to be, wait for a little while and throw the cast net. You might catch the big catfish too!:D

4. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    The one I was looking at was a,clover style. What is the deal,with the Styrofoam?

5. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    It's been a long time since Ithrew a cast net and i wasnt great at it. Don't think my shoulder would like it too well any more. Can't even throw a football more than a couple dozen times without paying for it the next day.

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
  7. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    I've had luck with a few whole saltines and a handfull of crushed up ones.In crab traps I'll poke a few holes in the cheapest can of tuna or seafood flavored catfood I can find.

Hooks likes this.
  8. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    You got a boy that is prime cast nettin age. It's a lot more fun watching someone else do it. Even better when they are standin on the front of your boat with the line in there teeth, long story but funny.

Hooks likes this.
  9. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    True dat. I can think of several mishaps that could occur with a cast net line in your teeth....

10. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    especially with dentures

Hooks likes this.
  11. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Styrofoam doesn't dissolve, just gives some eye appeal and makes them wonder why all those fish are crowded around that white thing.

Hooks likes this.
  12. bverboy

bverboy Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    lincoln county
    floating fish food tied in a sock inside of the clover traps works well.. never tried Styrofoam but will.. if the traps aren't working I throw a net at them..

Hooks likes this.
  13. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    Clover leaf wire mesh trap. Tie a sock or something similar to the middle and we put a little canned dog food in it. Works good. If you can find some back pockets in a creek or river with a lot of perch we will run a seine and catch more than enough with one drag. We find a good spot in the daytime and clean it out for a good seine drag then come back at night when the perch are pushed up into the more shallow water. If you got a pond that's full of greenies you can always catch them with a little jig head and some bit of worms. A few guys going at it you can have plenty in a hurry.

Hooks likes this.
  14. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Did my research and took y'alls advice and decided to just build a clover leaf trap. Took some time and a little effort, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Now just to see how it works. I have another one half done and will build one of my own invention, but smaller. Two full sized ones and a smaller one with a 2' X 25' roll of hardware cloth.

Attached Files:

15. DCSarchette

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Catch a lot of bait, then what you have left over of the small pan fish to little to clean for frying, can be cleaned and pickled in quart jars. My Grandmother used to pickle small fish and they were the bomb. Haven't had these in years, but boy was they good. I need to see if one of my two living Aunts has her ol recipe.

Hooks likes this.
  16. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Would you eat bones and all?
    Sounds pretty interesting.

17. DCSarchette

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Yes bones and all. They were pressure cooked I am thinking and the bones were all but non existent in fish that small.