Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep Chicken liver on a trebel hook?
I've tried string and it only seems to make a mess. Yesterday a guy told me to use Panty hose to hold the liver. I haven't tried this yet. Has anyone else had any luck with it?
-ACES

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garlic and liver baked in the sun :cool3: Sounds yummy.

I've tried the cut shad a few times and never had any luck with it. I fish mainly farm ponds, maybe it works better in bigger lakes or rivers.

I have had some success with hotdogs though. :) I haven't tried it for a long time, its probably time to go back to that one.

I've never used Goldfish. I gotta try that.

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
Originally posted by ACES
Garlic and liver baked in the sun :cool3: Sounds yummy.

I've tried the cut shad a few times and never had any luck with it. I fish mainly farm ponds, maybe it works better in bigger lakes or rivers.

I have had some success with hotdogs though. :) I haven't tried it for a long time, its probably time to go back to that one.

I've never used Goldfish. I gotta try that.
Gold Fish and Hot dogs have worked great for me in the bigger lakes but I have always used them while jug fishing or traut lining. Fish them right off the bottom in a deep part of a channel in the spring (10 to 15 feet!):cheers:

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
Don't use gold fish in a farm pond,,,unless there is a healthy population of good sized bass or cats. If you have a few gold fish get off the hook and live, you could have a gold fish pond in a few years.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
Originally posted by henry
Don't use gold fish in a farm pond,,,unless there is a healthy population of good sized bass or cats. If you have a few gold fish get off the hook and live, you could have a gold fish pond in a few years.

How would you know that Henry?:dancin:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
oh yeah,,,try turkey liver instead of chicken liver. It is tougher and stays on a hook better.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
For farm ponds, I've done this a few times..

Get several treble hooks and bait them with the chicken livers, winding them round and round the shank and leave the eye good and exposed.
You can use p. hose or cheesecloth... just make a pocket, put the baited hook in there, tie it up just to the eye and tie off with thread or similar.

Now... get a couple of plastic ice-cube trays, drop all the setups you have made down into the cube holders and freeze 'em. Next morning, put the trays in a cooler with a bit of dry ice on the bottom and they'll stay frozen all day. Toss 'em in, tight-line 'em and they will thaw pretty quickly. Frozen chicken livers do not fly off the hook when you cast! I dont even mess with the cheesecloth most of the time.. just keep the setups frozen. :wave:

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

You'd be surprised!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.