Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Today I was shooting my bow for the third time in my life. On one shot, the arrow was high, went over the hay bale backstop, and smacked in the side of a huge trash dumpster. The noise was wicked. Just before that, we had moved the target so the dumpster could prevent any shots gone bad. (We were shooting behind the firehouse.) Broke the carbon arrow just past the metal tip and the knock popped out and hasn't been seen since.

I have confessed my screw-up for the day, let's here your bad arrow stories.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
My worst. True story.

When I was about 17 and still living at home I was in my bedroom practicing my form one day by looking into my full length mirror at full draw.

I never draw a bow without an arrow in it if I am using a release to draw it.

Well, You know where this is going. Yes. SOMEHOW I touched one off into the mirror. Through the mirror, through the wall, out the wall in the bedroom next door.

My Mother was not impressed. :bangin:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
I was bout 17 and shooting an ol allen original compound at a stack of straw.

My dad comes out and SHOWS me how to shoot that thing. Arrow went over the straw and directly into the rear right tire of his 76 olds station wagon.

Yep.. pulled it out and SSSSSSSSSSS

Good shot pop!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
OK if I gotta tell that story on myself I'm gonna tell my best shots stories too.

One is hitting an outhouse at 192 yards when packing up and leaving the campgrounds at Jay, Vermont at the NFAA outdoor nationals. Drilled it.

The other is picking up my buddies left handed bow (I'm right handed) to try and shoot it left handed. I was using his arrows and release too just to make sure everything was the same as when he shot it. I shot the first shot about a foot from the dot, he laughed. I said "that don't mean nothing, give me another arrow!" I commenced to shoot it right into his other arrow, (robin hooded it.) He went white as a sheet. :rotfl:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
oh boy just one,when i was a kid back in the recurve days and the bales of straw,i backed up across the street to sixty yards and let fly.hit a little high and it skipped off the top bale and went where three widow ladies lived and were just happen to be sitting in the kitchen drinking a cup of tea when my arrow went crashing through the kitchen window screen an directly hit their tea pot shattering it.all i heard was three little old ladies screaming.i done thought i killed one of them,scared to death i ran up to three very frighten ladies.i got grounded, had to mow their yard for the rest of the summer for free,fix the screen and buy them a new tea pot.dad made me move my target to my grandfathers house to where ther was nobody around.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Those are some scary stories, my worst shot was at the archery shop, as I was drawing back in a league shoot I touched off my release and shot the light fixture in the shop, right in front of about 6 different guys.

Best shot was with a friends recurve awhile back. Randy (Mo state champ couple years ago) had me shoot his, took the arrow and shot a target about 40 yards off and put it in the 12 ring. He took the bow from me and told me to stick to compounds :D Suprised even me

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
Worst was in my back yard just after my neighbor had installed a new cedar 6 ft privacy fence. I had been shooting my cheap styrofoam walmart target and I had over shot and clipped the top of the foam target and the arrow went through his new fence. I made a nice hole and put a 3 foot split in it. I went and got my arrow from his back yard and never said a word...nether did he. The best was when I jumped a rabbit in a big field and he took off over a couple of terraces. I had an old recurve Colt 42# with cedar arrows. I lead him a few feet and arched one hail mary shot and nailed him in the head at close to 80 yards. Pure Luck. I just wish I had a witness to that shot.

·
5,632 Posts
Worst shot? Well, the worst for my pocket book was just a couple weeks ago. Droptine can vouch for it. We were shooting at my little Redhead block target. I had shot 2 arrows that were touching. Matt shot at one of the corner dots and spun the target about 45 degrees to the left. Me, not thinking as usual, shot again and split my other two arrows completely in half. I hit them from the side and shishkabobbed those suckers. One heck of a group, though!! That little stunt cost me about $20.

My best shot was my 3rd attempt at a 3D elk at 124 yds. There was a nail in the middle of the 12 ring and I hit about 1/2" below the nail. Couldn't do it again....I tried!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,284 Posts
I didn't do this, but a guy I work with told that the kid that lives next door to him was shooting arrows straight up into the air and trying to catch them on the way down. One of them missed the yard completely and landed in his pool. They didn't know it until they came back from vacation and saw the water was low in the pool. Then they found out why. Arrow was still in the pool at the bottom sticking straight up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Last may i picked up my first bow and went allin getting a switchback. I had taken allthe advice here and shot about everything in site to test and the switchback with its smooth draw and no hand slap were big factors in me picking it. These are good atributes for a bow if a person is in a wheelchair like myself.

SO to to easy MO/ARK some, ill tell you what I learned. That for a whimp like me it gets too hot in July to shoot for a long session outside. I was getting good with my new bow last may and when july rolled around, i asked a grip ? here and wanted to check out the results and it was hot. So, i decide that there is enough room if i shoot from the living room thru to my room at the door to my bathroom, id have a good 20yds shot. I set up a bunch of old pillows and blankets around my foam target and had every area covered incase of a miss.

I take aim at my Walmart 8" faom target and hit dead center centerr circle

went inspected it and man i felt great, i was going to get a shooting session in and not get hot. I had my 20 yard pin on the dot and things were lookign good. I pull the arrow and go back to start my session. I carefully noc my arrow and bring it to site and gently engage the release, and whoomp!-WHACK! thought man that did not sound at all like that first shot. so i look and cant see my arrow. Im like, man i know im not that bad. so i wheel into my room and try ti lift the target and it is a bit resistant. the arrow had hit dead center agian again and went thru the target block 85% of the way and the block was close enough that the back side protruding part had completely penetrated the bathroom door

Hmmm, so much fo my shooting session, so i got it all put up and tried to push all the splinters backand make the hold less noticable.

We two days later we go on vacation and my brother and i are at my uncle's house and we are tellig the ritual hunting-kids growing up-getting iinto trouble-stealing watermelon-doing stupid stuff stories and i picked this oppertune time to tell of my killing of the crapper door. My relatives all got a huge laugh out of it, my brother on the other hand was not as amused. See, we live together since dad passed away in what was our parents house. He was furoius. I told him I never liked that door and had had enough and i decided to put it out of my misery that was really why i shot it and was going to replace it as soon as we got back from vacation.

Well to this day i stillhave a peep hole about 10 inches high from the ground but almos all the splinters are covering the opening. so life goes on and i now know that it is never too hot im Missouri to shoot a bow outside

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I wish mine were as long ago as some of your--then it might not be so embarassing.

Un fortunatly it was this winter. I have a very long basement so I decided to set up a 20 yard range down there to keep my form up over the winter months.

No problem right? That would be correct...untill I broke one of the most important rules of all time. NEVER HANDLE A WEAPON OF ANY KIND WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING.

I had been having a "few" beers one evening. My wife opted to go to bed a little early as she was under the weather. I stayed up and had a "few" more. Eventually the TV and computer were no longer able to hold my attention and I decided it would be a good idea to head down to the basement and shoot a few practice arrows. I shoot two sets and my groups were amazingly tight. It must have been due to my relaxed state. Well the first arrow of the third set did not turn out so well. About three quarters of the way through my draw I touched off the arrow which stuck square into one of the foor joices overhead!!

Thankfully this accudent did not hurt anyone and it served as a reminder to me that this was not such a good idea so I put the bow down for the evening.

Once again for the kids who might read this----
NEVER HANDLE A WEAPON OF ANY KIND WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
About two o'clock this morning. Was doing some test shots after resetting my WB...flinched...shot right through the drywall in my basement. Arra smashed into the foundation.

Damn about $10 down the drain.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Great good and bad shot stories guys! I read this this morning and thought about it all day, Couldn't come up with one shot that stood out as being the worst cause I have made soooo many poor ones. However the Bud shoot is tomorrow and I may have a story to post after that!:eek:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
garage shot

Well..I was shooting from the backyard into the garage.. enables about a 30yd shot.

I shot a good set, then towards the end, the rubber tube popped off of my peep
at full draw :soapbox:
Anyway, ol rat decides to just eyeball it instead of letting down and she went right through the garage door..
pics attached..

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
arrow

10 dollar lesson that day.. :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hey I saw that exact target and group on display at Wal-Mart!:cool:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Guy I play poker with is my old boss. Last night he reminded me of one I had forgot. He said his ******* calendar said "You might be a ******* if you've ever shot your bow at work." Been there done that. Was shooting down a long hall one night after hours..........arrow in file cabinet.

Another work story didn't happen to me, but to a guy that didn't even work there, but was invited by a co worker. Arrow bounced off the ground & right through the front of a 5th wheel camper that was being stored in a rental stall. Pickiest customer we had about his stuff. That was the end of shooting at work.

Yep, done all the shooting in the house deals. Plenty of bloody noses & fat lips when learning to shoot a stan release.

But I think the most memorable was with one of my first bows. Mathews 3D hunter. Yep, been a few years ago. I didn't have a bow press yet, so I would break down the bow to work on the string twist by unscrewing the limb bolts enough to colaps the bow. Too many times of doing this & I stripped the threads in the aluminum riser, yep, you guessed it, almost full draw & she came completely apart. Limb cup all the way out by the target.

Best shot? Same as above, too many to pick from. Some of the most fun, when I was learning to shoot my long bow, I'd shoot the cat food stealing blackbirds outside of my shop door. Killed 3 one day.

Shot a robin hood one day on my birthday at a 3d. 30 yard javalina. Glassed it & the guys nock was pinwheel 10 & glowing. I was shooting ACC's, he was shooting 2412's. The nock quit glowing. Glassed the target & my arrow was nowhere to be seen. The other guy bout flipped because he was glassin the target & saw the whole thing. Said it was cool watching his arrow strip the fletching on mine as it went in. Never hurt the shaft. Blew out the nock & point. Him & his wife bought us dinner after the shoot as a birthday present. When I came out, his arrow was on the antenna of my van. That sucker traveled thousands of miles right there as we traveled to shoots.

A lot of fond memories shooting a bow.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Well..I was shooting from the backyard into the garage.. enables about a 30yd shot.

I shot a good set, then towards the end, the rubber tube popped off of my peep
at full draw :soapbox:
Anyway, ol rat decides to just eyeball it instead of letting down and she went right through the garage door..
pics attached..
Thats a pretty good lookin' 30-yard group anyhow Rat. I suspect they would all fall within a pie plate :peepwall:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I've had plenty of bad shots but the one that sticks out most in my mind was a shot at a nice buck, I kept telling myself to pick a spot...dont look at his rack. and when he finaly got within range I released....and hit him about 2 inchs below his antler base:mad: had 100 yards of good blood then nothing. it pretty much scalped him but he was never found. I know that I was so focused on his rack that I never aimed at what I should have been.
this isnt my best shot but the luckiest shot I ever seen, me and a buddy had been at a 3d tourny and he found 2 arrows....the shoot was over and they had the long shoot. it was 1 dollar a shot. he paid 2 bucks and on his first shot (on a arrow that he found with 2 fletchings left on it) the arrow went wide then hit the ground and made a 45 degree turn and hit the nail in the target, it lost some much power after the richotet it was barely hanging in there by just the tip. I never did hear the end of it but everyone else there was upset saying it shouldnt count as he walked away with about 70 bucks:hysterical:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I knew it! I tried a skip shot at the Bud Shoot, then as I hate to fail, I tried and tried again!:wink: Actually I missed one skip shot so bad it went over da target!:wink: So I'm just going to combine a bunch of bad ones today into my worst one.:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.