8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bad Luck is while discing my food plot the other night
I found this buck in the middle of the plot, my guess is that
he was hit by a car cbecause its only about 300 yds from
the road or he was shot by the road and made it that far
i think he is 21/2 years old and would score around 120
as a 8pt thats not bad. The good luck was I found him ,
and the butt that may have shot him didnt get the rack. Plus I have this buck on video.
I have been told if I boil the skull in water I can get all the junk of it . Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
It will be hard to get the hide off, if it's not too stinky, I'd try cutting that off and then boiling...

Glad you found him instead of some lowlife poacher!!!

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
i think i would just bury the head with the horns exposed,throw something over the horns so it won't be drug off.let the bugs and nature do the work this time of year.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
you can still skin it with the hide dried on. You may have to moisten it up, and most likely you'll have to. It might be a little nasty, but I would get the hide wet so it's pliable again, and get it off of there and remove the bottom jaw. Then boil it in a water/sal soda mix. Baking soda does the same thing. When you boil it...you'll want to boil it for a little while, then take it out and get what meat you can off, then repeat. The point is that you don't want to boil it for too long at high temp. If you do you will cook the bone which does a couple things. First it weakens it which makes it easy to break, especially the end of the nose off, and secondly by cooking the bone you will notice that it discolors it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.