bad hunting accadent.............

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by woodcarver, Oct 31, 2010.

1. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    Hope this hasn't been posted before.

A guy I know that is a principle for smithville schools fell from his stand Friday morning. He lives alone so no one knew he was missing, till one of his friends went looking for him. He fell fifteen feet while shooting at a deer. He broke his neck c1 , c4 vertebrae and layed out there from 8:30 am till he was found at 9 pm. lifelighted from the woods to st joe. He can talk, but will have to have sugery to be able to support his head. He has feeling in his ARM pits, buy is completely paralysed. They said his prognosis is not good for regaining mobility.

Be safe out there my friends, be safe.

2. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Man, that's terrible. Prayers for a better prognosis.

3. redlabel1

redlabel1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    cass co.
    man i hate to hear about things like this, and my sons wonder why i wont let them close to the ladder stands without a harness on even if they are not hunting

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    This is the exact reason we all need to get in the habit of telling someone where we're going & when to expect us back & make sure when we get back, to let someone know we've made it out safely. That's one of my biggest fears.

5. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    [rquote=1872289&tid=130374&author=pinwheel]This is the exact reason we all need to get in the habit of telling someone where we're going & when to expect us back & make sure when we get back, to let someone know we've made it out safely. That's one of my biggest fears.[/rquote]

Pinweel my wife and I have devised a better protocol for checking in, and for somone to know where I'm at.

6. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    My wife and I just had this discussion 10 mins ago. Once she has this baby we are gonna take a trip to the woods so she can find each stand and know what # I've assigned to them.

7. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    [rquote=1872300&tid=130374&author=kc704]My wife and I just had this discussion 10 mins ago. Once she has this baby we are gonna take a trip to the woods so she can find each stand and know what # I've assigned to them.[/rquote]

Very good idea

8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Safety harness? I'm guessing not?

This is BAD BAD BAD. :whiteflag: :innocent:

Parker

9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree, safety harness is the key. That would have kept him from breaking his neck. Letting someone know your location could help save your life too, but safety harness was the only way to save him from being paralyzed in this accident.

10. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    C-1 and C-2 are the vertebrae that allow your head to turn from side to side... C-2 is the Post ( odontoid Process) and c-1 is the cup it sits in... I will saying prayers for his recovery, cervical vertebrae are not to be broken..He is lucky he is able to breathe...

11. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    My condolences, hate to hear about these things happening when it's so easy to prevent.:mad2::mad2:

Buy a harness and wear it, or stay on the ground, like this fat guy does.

12. Ridealong

Ridealong Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Smithville
    :praying::praying::praying: Ya Know we here about these things all the time, and think, well it could never happen to me or anyone that i know, well this time it has. What a horrible fealing that i have from it. Prayers for him and his family

13. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Very bad situation! Prayers that he will end up better than they are thinking! Please everyone, strap yourselves to the tree!!!!!

14. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

[rquote=1872289&tid=130374&author=pinwheel]This is the exact reason we all need to get in the habit of telling someone where we're going & when to expect us back & make sure when we get back, to let someone know we've made it out safely. That's one of my biggest fears.[/rquote]

x2
    I am, a climbing instructor for more than thirty years! Even with the proper training there is always going to be mis-haps
    But people PLEASE wear a SAFTY harness and check your gear! You owe it to Yourself and Your Family to do everything You can to STAY SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PRAYERS for Him and His Family and Friends
    :praying::praying::praying::praying::praying:

15. deerslayer75

deerslayer75 Active Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Liberty, Missouri
    there was a kid in illinois this past weekend i was told got hung by his safety harness freak accident and scary for sure

16. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1885150&tid=130374&author=deerslayer75]there was a kid in illinois this past weekend i was told got hung by his safety harness freak accident and scary for sure[/rquote]

My old boss in WI died the same way...had a safety harness on...fell and the harness suffocated him to death. He was found by his 12yr. old son.

I'm sorry for the principal...that is horrible.

17. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Very sorry to hear that.

18. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    That is tough
    Hope for the best of recovery scenarios for him!
    :praying: