Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pleasure of fishing yesterday with Sam (Backyardbandit) and his crew Nick, Willy, AJ and Ian. Some of them flew in late the night before so we pushed our start time out to 8am. I had the boat ready to go and we were ready to shove off on time when Willy walked up from parking the car and dropped the car key fob into the water at the dock. My first thought is "I sure hope this isn't how our day is going to go!" Water is 6ft deep at the dock and was very clear so even with just one good eye Bandit was able to see the key fob on the bottom. Willy saved the day with his gaff skills and managed to hook the keys in just a couple of tries so I took that as a good sign.
The weather was a little bit off the forecast and we had two footers and pretty windy as we stopped at the lip to catch some live baits. My forecast on Saltwater Central Reefcast is usually spot on so I hoped it would lay down like predicted. I had to stay on the throttles to hold us over the bait and in pretty short order we had a couple of dozen cigar minnows. I turned the boat toward the spot and set the auto pilot and we set out two trolling rods. I was hoping to grab a couple of bonitas on the way out as they fight pretty hard and make great bait.
We hadn't went very far when the rod started to zing and we had our first fish on. It wasn't pulling real hard so I wasn't sure what we had but was pleasantly surprised when the guys reeled in a nice sized spanish mackerel. After putting the fish in the box we set the rod back out and in about five minutes hooked another spanish. One more set and this time the reel screamed and I knew we had a bonita. The fight was pretty long and AJ's arms got a little tired but he finally got it to the boat. It was still rolling 2 footers and we had a long run so I decided to pull in the trolling gear and run to our spot. The waves were stacked up making it a little rough so we plodded along at 18-20 mph for about an hour and a half before finally arriving. By the time we got to the spot the waves and wind had laid down to what was predicted so it wasn't too bumpy to fish.
I pulled up on the spot and cut bait and got the gear ready while watching the gps to see which way we were going to drift. With everyone baited up I pulled around and set up a drift. The baits hadn't much more than hit the bottom than they were hooked up. It was pretty much non-stop action the entire time we were there, often with double, triple and quadruple hookups. Bandit caught another bonita on the flat line. Everyone took a turn reeling in huge red snapper on the bottom rods. We caught three over 15 pounds and one over 20!! Unfortunately they are not in season so all had to be released. I lost track of how many red snapper we caught but I am guessing at least 40 that were legal keeper size and a lot more shorts. The guys were pulling white snapper and mingos in left and right on the chicken rigs, sometimes two at a time. I usually catch triggers on this spot also but not a single one came up so they must have moved. The guys wanted to keep some fish to eat so we were putting big mingos and white snapper in the box. There was lots of grunting and groaning as everyone fought one the big snappers. Some flippers (porpises) showed up and started stealing our fish. One even swam up to the boat with one in his mouth taunting us.
Finally it was almost time to go so I told the guys one last drift.
We were near the end and starting to pull lines when Willy's pole doubled over and he started fighting a pretty good fish. I had been hoping all day long for a scamp or red grouper as I had caught both at this spot before but you couldn't get a bait past the snapper today. As luck would have it the last fish was a beautiful keeper size red grouper.
We pointed the boat back to the pass and headed in at a nice 35mph cruise.
I think the guys had a good time and took home a big bag of some good eats. I really enjoyed meeting them and taking them fishing. If you are coming to the Destin area on vacation and want to do some fishing give me a shout. I am going to add the pics from my phone so they will be in the comments.

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Looks like a blast, the flippers showing up is pretty funny.

Think I'd have been sick releasing that many snapper. :banging:

· Banned
24,478 Posts

· Banned
24,478 Posts
He's the one guarding the Busch Lite suitcase.....as if anyone's going to steal it ;)
Cerveza caliente es no bueno. Es muy Malo!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.