back to the farm

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Jeremy, May 30, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    more cedar cutting and clearing for today. might even start a little fire. cut and split about 2 cords of oak yesterday, this taking care of your own land stuff is almost like work

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

But you reap the benefits. :claphands:

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  4. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    thas enough for one day:peepwall: workin on a great sunburn now too

5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Your cutting Cedars and I'm trying to get some to grow.:confused:

I cut a couple Big Cedars around or Cabin today where we are going to build.But on our property trying to get Cedars and Pines to grow.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin likes the smell of Cedar.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i hate cedars with a pasion. downright invasive and serve very little purpose. the spot i'm clearing out hasnt been touched in i'd say 20 years. so thick you cant even walk through it

7. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1280850&tid=89592&author=Jeremy]i hate cedars with a pasion. downright invasive and serve very little purpose. the spot i'm clearing out hasnt been touched in i'd say 20 years. so thick you cant even walk through it[/rquote]i don't know about serving no purpose, i have seen some nice cedar projects, fencing and furniture, and cedar is naturally weather resistant, one of the nicest decks i have ever seen was 100% cedar, and was probably 3 times the cost of using pressure treated

8. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    serves no purpose for me. i guess i'll get a few fence posts from this whole ordeal

9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1280850&tid=89592&author=Jeremy]i hate cedars with a pasion. downright invasive and serve very little purpose. the spot i'm clearing out hasnt been touched in i'd say 20 years. so thick you cant even walk through it[/rquote]

You'll be surprised how much deer utilize cedar thickets in the winter. Once you've got them all cleared out, if your big bucks no longer frequent your farm, you'll have a good idea why. The thicker the better for big deer to feel safe.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    well, considering there is going to be a house built within 100 yards of this cedar grove...aint gonna be no big bucks hiding out in it anyway.;) we've got plenty of other land and thick areas around that this little clearing...well...thinning project aint gonna hurt nobody:cheers:

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    red blocks are where the house is being built, the yellow section is whats getting thinned out so we have access to that pond in there. this so far has been a 2 day project, which i cant see an end to just yet

[file]59022[/file]

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    That close to the house, I don't blame ya. Your statement about big boys not being within 100 yds of the house couldn't be further from the truth. The house we just bought, there was 160" buck killed about 100 yds from it this year. Couple years ago, Jenny had 2 chances at a different 160" class buck less than 100 yds from the house.

13. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i killed my biggest 100yds from my home, granted it was not 160 class but was a very nice buck

14. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i dont plan on hunting that close, for safeties sake:cheers:

15. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

Did a little farm work myself today; got the sunburn and all. Plan on going back tomorrow and doing a little brush hogging & maybe turning a little dirt w/ the plow.

:cheers:

16. winger

winger Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    just build a huge deck/deer stand at the back. safety at it's finest unless the youngins or momma out running but at that time of a morning they would be crazy.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1280942&tid=89592&author=winger]just build a huge deck/deer stand at the back. safety at it's finest unless the youngins or momma out running but at that time of a morning they would be crazy.[/rquote]
    i dont believe you've had the privaledge of meeting my crew yet:hysterical:

18. TAB

TAB Active Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Sure is some nice looking wood though.:D I gots a cedar thicket behind house that deer like to bed in. From time to time I have saw some big bucks in.

Just Sayin:D

I would have rather been at home working outside today! Just got done BBQing for the guys at work

19. TAB

TAB Active Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    [rquote=1280942&tid=89592&author=winger]just build a huge deck/deer stand at the back. safety at it's finest unless the youngins or momma out running but at that time of a morning they would be crazy.[/rquote]

Good Idea!
    Guys I used to work with gave me crap all the time. Said stuff like you shoot em out the window, off the porch or they'd say I'm shooting City deer(since I live on the city line). Least I was shooting em though.

20. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    There's a cedar thicket on the northern side of our farm that the deer move through pretty regularly. The turkeys sure do like it too in the winter time. :cheers: