Baby Doves

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by Marine95, May 20, 2009.

1. Marine95

Marine95 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Fenton
    I have 3 baby doves in my hanging basket. They were born sometime last night. Mom was there when I left for work today. When I got home she was gone and has yet to show back up. I got feathers all over the front yard, I dont know what happened.

Should I take them in if she dont come back?

2. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    it doesn't sound good.

i've had 7 robins take flight from the nest in the last 3 days. I saw two of them today so at least that many have made it so far.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    That clutch needs the momma...
    If not, cycle of life.

Not sure what you could do.

I usually see two eggs in a nest.. 3 is a good clutch for doves.

They are notoriously terrible nest-builders.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Don't both parents take care of the nestlings? At least yours hatched. Mine had eggs one day and a bunch of feathers the next.

[file]57924[/file]

5. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The one that was at our house has already left.

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    sounds like breakfast is on order :claphands:

7. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Had a nest about 4 ft off the ground and it only had i believe 2 white eggs with blue specks and I walked by and looked at it a week ago and there was a larger brown egg in there,I may have my colors mixed up and could have been the other way around,what is the brown egg :confused:

8. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    The brown headed cowbird will lay eggs in existing nests. Their eggs are white with a lot of brown speckles. Did you see a solid brown egg?

9. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    [rquote=1270466&tid=88936&author=mohunter32]The brown headed cowbird will lay eggs in existing nests. Their eggs are white with a lot of brown speckles. Did you see a solid brown egg?[/rquote]
    Not brown but kinda tannish,and about like a nickel,but the first 2 that was in there was white with blue specks if memory serves me

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

stir-fried baby doves sound good:eek:

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1270493&tid=88936&author=Swampy]stir-fried baby doves sound good:eek:[/rquote]

heck yes :rock:

12. Marine95

Marine95 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Fenton
    Momma wasn't there today when I left for work, but has since returned. They were still alive this morning.