awesome

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by coyotekilller, Apr 21, 2006.

1. coyotekilller

coyotekilller New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Well, i havent been on in a while but i just had to post...

i kiled my first turkey on th kansas youth hunt west of salina kansas. the turkey was a rio and weighed over 20 lbs,had a 9 1/2 in. beard and 3/4 in. spurs. im so happy that i could get the bird on my first hunt and ill never forget it!!!

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    sweet, where pic's and story

3. coyotekilller

coyotekilller New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    dont know how to post picks but heres the story;
    woke up early made the hike to where we were going to set up,did a few hoot owl calls to locate em. got set up and waited. after 15 minutes and a few calling sessions. i saw a tom strutting on the far side of the field. i was set up just on a high bank of the saline river, dad and dads buddy down on a flat on the creek bank. the tom was about 150 yards away and wouldnt stop strutting. a hen came from the other side of the field and the tom held up with her for about 10 minutes. tom wasnt movin so dads buddy went down the creek bed and called so the tom would think the hen was leavin.i had set my 2 hen decoys and 1 jake decoy at about 15 yards and was hopin the arrangement would work . the hen left and the tom at full strut for about 100 yards.there was about a 3 foot window that i could shoot because of some brush in front of me. the tom came to the left side of my jake,but icouldnt shoot because of the brush. he stopped ,turned around, and came to the right side of my jake, as soon as i saw his head i gave him the 12 ga. 3in federal to him ,he flopped, got up, and went 20 yds.
    1 shot , 1 kill
    im super proud cause i got him with my new rossi 12 guage single shot.:):)

4. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    sounds like a good time, congrats on your first bird and good luck on many more.

5. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003