Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for me and my brother (hunter79), quail season really got underway Thanksgiving weekend. We were able to shoot two late in the evening on thanksgiving. We've hunted every weekend since and haven't gotten into many birds yet.
Finally this weekend we had plenty of birds. Yesterday we chased a couple different coveys around and got a TON of good points. We weren't too good of shooters and kept getting in each others way. Still ended up with 3 and should have had atleast 6 or 8. I didn't have the camera yesterday but did today.
Today was no different. First stop we got into a small covey and I wounded one. Ace went and pointed it and I flushed it and killed it. Then we went to another spot and got into a nice sized covey. Killed 4 all together. Again, should have probably had 8-10 today. Hard to shoot them buggers in the trees!
Anyway, this is probably the best weekend of hunting I've had in my life. Nothing like buying a pup and spending so much time and money training him and then reaping the benefits. Sure have gone through a LOT of worry and frustration the last couple years. I think I can safely say I finally have myself a bird dog!
On that note, if anybody has some quail they'd like to hunt in the NE corner of the state, I'll be happy to bring a dog for you. You can do all the shooting and keep the birds. I just can't get enough watching him work.
Thanks for looking.

The Thanksgiving two. Me and Ace on he left, Brother Hunter79 and his German Maggie in the middle and another brother on the right.
[file]84313[/file]

The first covey point on this spot.
[file]84314[/file]

hunter79 going in to flush.
[file]84315[/file]

These next two are Ace pointing singles we flushed from the first covey. Managed to kill those two since they were out in the open.
[file]84316[/file]

[file]84317[/file]

Another single a little bit later. Pretty sure we missed this one. Sure loved this point though!
[file]84318[/file]

And the days harvest. All four tired dogs right there!
[file]84319[/file]

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Tell ace we'll try to shoot straighter next time :cheers:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the poor guy is gonna stop pointin em for us if we don't watch it. Course, I put up with quite a bit from him before he would point and hold so he'll have to deal with us for awhile I think. haha

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
nice pics pointerman.........I love me some good dog work. give that young dog of yours an extra pat on the head for me.

·
5,092 Posts
it sure is fun running behind some good bird dogs. sure wish there were more quail out there though. (I used to have shorthairs. Makes me wish I still did) Great pictures :cheers:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do that joeyman! I gave him a pretty good helping of deer scraps i kept for him when we got in!
City, I totally understand the lack of quail concern. I feel that way too! I sure hope there's a few people on here who would let us come hunt with them. I don't have enough spots to hunt them every weekend. I gotta keep some around for seed for next year.

·
5,092 Posts
we got to where we'd shoot two birds out of a covey of eight and had to let the singles go. It got to be more exercising the dogs than bird hunting. We thought we had a great day if we got up 3 coveys. I used to get up 12 in a day and 7 in a half day. I don't need it to be that good but better than what it is now.

(I lost both my shorthairs to cancer within a 12 month period 4 1/2 and 6 1/2, that sealed the deal for me. I've got a black lab now.)

the good old days, where did they go?

[Edited on 12/14/2009 by citybowhunter]

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
:eek::

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, my dad and grandpa talk about those days when you could just go out and shoot and shoot and never even remotely hurt the population. They didn't of course but sure could have. I can't imagine a day like that. I guess it's good I never saw those days or I'd probably be more likely to give it up now. I'm sorry to hear about your shorthairs. I'm scared to death somethin like that will happen to Ace. I do everything I can to keep it from it, but that's one of those things that's out of our hands.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
there aint nuthing better then hunting over a good working birg dog :eek::

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
3 males outta 4......thats a good thing. If I'm seein it right anyway.

I'd just as soon watch him sniff em out and point em as opposed to killin em anyway. He didn't seem to mind the misses either

·
blu bogart
22,472 Posts
:kewlpics: Great to hear of a quail hunt.Love those dog stories.Had my lab go 200yds. through icey water today,after a Mallard .Chased him into a patch of standing corn.She was in there so long started to get worried,only to come out with a triple curled drake sitting upright in her mouth,quacking all the way.:rof2::cheers:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha, great story shawncat! our dogs got out on the ice a few times today. made us a little nervous too. I'd be a lot more relaxed with a big ole lab though.
I'm the same way beards. Nothin matters to me except seeing that dog point and hold. and yea, he don't seem to care one bit whether we kill it or not. he's just going balistic tryin to find more. even when i call him over to see the kill, he's just too busy huntin.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
[rquote=1509300&tid=105268&author=Pointerman]even when i call him over to see the kill, he's just too busy huntin.[/rquote]

Bout the best problem a guy can have I imagine

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha, yea that's what i thought too!
So is there anybody out there in MWT land that has a few coveys they'd like to hunt? Over christmas break I might drive about anywhere if you'd like a day of good huntin. Again, the shootin and quarry are all yours. I just wanna get the dog in more birds.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
:claphands:

Its so darn fun getting into some birds. Always a bonus when you actually get to knock a few down.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Battman, your pigeons had a HUGE part in this success. I'm confident of that. I took him out several times before the season and planted a bird. Only I actually shot a few over him and it all seemed to click for us. Ever since then he's been pretty well rock-solid. I still have 5 and two babies were just born so I think I'll use the rest of them through the spring to kinda keep him polished. I'd like to keep them til next fall before season again but I'm gettin pretty tired of having to take care of em.
Habitat, is was a ball. You bird hunt don't you? Ever come up 61 and hunt anywhere?

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
Glad they worked out for you.They are kind of a pain but cool to watch when they are out flying.That pup sure came along nice.:eek::

1 - 20 of 37 Posts