Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
i planted them with a drill with a mix of oats, deer turkey all over them first 3 weeks havent touched them since, planted september 1

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by marshallgrn]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,166 Posts
[rquote=1507641&tid=105140&author=beanpile]deer did'nt like them?[/rquote]

Never seen enough growth out of em to know. Maybe the deer liked real well & just kept em nipped off. Either way, I don't see me ever buying them again.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I like them. Normally I sow them with cereal grains @ about 20#/acre. The deer hit them pretty hard here at my local spot.

I plant them anywhere from mid Aug-Sept 15 depending on what I am mixing with them. I actually like the get them in mid August and then overseed the ww/oats or whatever from Sept 1-15th.

·
Registered
102 Posts
[rquote=1507659&tid=105140&author=pinwheel][rquote=1507641&tid=105140&author=beanpile]deer did'nt like them?[/rquote]

Never seen enough growth out of em to know. Maybe the deer liked real well & just kept em nipped off. Either way, I don't see me ever buying them again.[/rquote]

I agree with pinwheel. I am personally not a big fan.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The deer love them and they are much cheaper here for some reason at about $30/bag. I usually use about 1 bag per 1/4 acre hunting plot in the fall. I do not broadcast them all at once though. Every time I visit the plots, I fill in the browsed areas with more seed...keeps the plots going through November when temps get too cool for germination.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I planted some in early august about the 10th if i remember right but they were not inoculated didnt germanate very well. Bought some inoculant mixed them in with my rye germation rate was much better they were about 3" tall the middle of october when a survey was done and we found out the fences had been moved about 300 yards somehow and my food plot was on the neighbors property. The neighbor wouldnt allow us to hunt the plot. Then the landowner and i had a falling out over the cost of the lease so we parted ways never got a chance to go back and see how the did!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.