atv title ?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Brake, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Brake

Brake New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    ok so I sold my atv I signed over the title to the new owner how does he go and get it switched over to his name? Do you go to the DMV? If you do that do you have to pay sales tax on it? If that's the case do I need to go get a bill of sale?

2. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    He needs to take the title to the DMV and get it registered in his name. No bill of sale should be needed. It is his responsibility to report the selling price and pay all taxes incurred. When you sign the back of the title there is a place for the selling price... enter it to avoid his mis-statement of the price. After you sign the title, most responsibility falls on the seller to make it his........

3. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Yes, he would have to go to DMV to switch the title, and no, the title will be his bill of sale....and yes, he will have to pay sales tax, but maybe you sold it to him for say $200???? :innocent:

4. Brake

Brake New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    is it like seling a car if you report what you sold it for and then you buy another would I get a certain amount off the sales tax on my new one?

5. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I'm not sure on that, but to be safe, you would need a bill of sale with the selling price on it that matches the title sale price.

6. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1888228&tid=131542&author=Brake]is it like seling a car if you report what you sold it for and then you buy another would I get a certain amount off the sales tax on my new one?[/rquote]

Yes... there is a time frame and I believe it to be 60 days of the selling date. better check to make sure.....

If you sold it for 800.00 then you could subtract 800.00 from the purchase of your new one...... :cheers:

7. bgctrading

bgctrading Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Im pretty sure you are not "required" to register atvs in mo though.

8. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1888247&tid=131542&author=bgctrading]Im pretty sure you are not "required" to register atvs in mo though.[/rquote]

Tis true............ however, one would want a title for future sale........ :cheers:

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Last 2 atv's I bought for my kids and 1 dirtbike did not come with titles, rather a certificate of origin. I wouldn't worry about future sale as they are not required...many manufactures don't even issue titles anymore. Bill of sale is more than sufficient

10. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

[rquote=1888219&tid=131542&author=mrb]

After you sign the title, most responsibility falls on the seller to make it his........

[/rquote]

Wouldn't that be on the buyer?

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    A clean title is what most insurance companies need for coverage.
    Otherwise, for farm use there isnt a need for a title.

If I sold one, I'd want to make sure the title is transferred for liability sake.
    I've been through this.

12. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    [rquote=1888327&tid=131542&author=rat]A clean title is what most insurance companies need for coverage.
    Otherwise, for farm use there isnt a need for a title.

If I sold one, I'd want to make sure the title is transferred for liability sake.
    I've been through this.[/rquote]

yep
    and if you ever want a sticker to use it on state or fed land you need a title

13. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Not true, there are many manufacturers that do not issue titles.

14. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Mo. now requires the seller to submit a notice of sale to the Director of Revenue when you sale a moter vehicle (ATV) included. Here is a link to the form

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/5049.pdf

The seller fills it out, and the buyer signs it and it must be turned in within 30 days.