Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used a disc behind a 4 wheeler that actually worked? I have tried a couple different discs that were too light and wouldn't work the ground. I tried adding weight, but it just didn't work. The plots that I am trying to work aren't accessible with a tractor, so I need something that is heavy enough to dig in, but can be pulled with a 4 wheeler.
The two plots have been worked before, so I don't need a plow. I see a variety of ATV discs out there that cost 2K and up, but I was hoping for some actual reviews from some folks on here on something they have seen work.

3,543 Posts
Have you considered renting a sub compact tractor and tiller? The setup I have will get just about anywhere a ATV or utv will go.
Can probably rent one for $300 or $400 a day? Maybe less
In decent soil I can do an acre in approx.1 & 3/4 hours, and end up with a good seed bed in one pass.

· 2 Corinthians 5:10
1,818 Posts
I used an old 8' single gang with cinder blocks on top, angled pretty good, and it worked well on previously worked ground.
I suppose it depends on soil type and compaction and moisture in the ground. pulled with utv, but could have pulled with my atv no question.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have tried a smaller tractor but got it stuck crossing a ditch/creek. That is the big issue with this plot, a 4 wheeler is about the only way to do it.
Thing is, I've never killed a deer on this plot but it sure gives us a good inventory on the deer that are around.

1,533 Posts
I would think a small cultivator and drag harrow would be best. It's hard to get a disc heavy enough for a 4 wheeler to pull.
I would agree with this statement. A disc plow works better on ground already broken up. A tine cultivator would be best. I break up around 3 acres a year with my atv cultivator and I would have to say, the tines do a great job.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

· Banned
81,617 Posts
We have tried a smaller tractor but got it stuck crossing a ditch/creek. That is the big issue with this plot, a 4 wheeler is about the only way to do it.
Thing is, I've never killed a deer on this plot but it sure gives us a good inventory on the deer that are around.
If it's a ditch you can use a chain saw and cut poles to fill the thing with . Just be prepared to do it again next year. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.