Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First look at the NEW Ascend kayaks 9R Sport.
MSPR is $299..... will see how this entry level Yak holds up in the future.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did a vid on the Hobie too.
No foot rest... no pole holders on this model either; very basic.

1,533 Posts
Nice looking smaller entry level kayak for shorter trips. Good video! Thought that JEB tshirt looked familiar and well as the kid in it too. I work with your wife and taught your kids. All great people.

1,533 Posts
Nice looking smaller entry level kayak for shorter trips. Good video! Thought that JEB tshirt looked familiar and well as the kid in it too. I work with your wife and taught your kids. All great people.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What?????? Haha...
Cool stuff ha-ha.
I just showed this to Michelle, she says hello !!

· Registered
21,445 Posts
Good luck with it. I have a kayak, but its not an Ascend. I was afraid people were going to tell me I didn't know my Ascend from a hole in the ground. :D
And even more afraid they'd be right. :D :scared:

1,533 Posts
What?????? Haha...
Cool stuff ha-ha.
I just showed this to Michelle, she says hello !!
Yes, I didn't expect to see Michelle in the video. Didn't want to say her name as some parents are protective like that. Tell her I said hi back. She is a great kid!

· Full Fledged Member
4,928 Posts
I've been considering a yak, looked at these a bit, haven't pulled the trigger yet, busy with other toys..... it'll happen maybe next season.
They had a few clearance Sundolphin brand kayaks at farm and home last weekend, but no "fishing" specific models, prices seemed good though.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been considering a yak, looked at these a bit, haven't pulled the trigger yet, busy with other toys..... it'll happen maybe next season.
They had a few clearance Sundolphin brand kayaks at farm and home last weekend, but no "fishing" specific models, prices seemed good though.
So far the Lifetime Tamarack Angler for $275 is my favorite under $300 fishing kayak...... I have not found one that tracks better and works as good as it. It comes with poles holder, storage and a paddle from Walmart.com
The new Lifetime Teton Angler is supposed to be even better but no paddle and is $329 I think.

· Part-time malcontent
8,459 Posts
I would advise against buying a sport/recreational kayak if you want to fish from one. If you just want to paddle they're fine, but a fishing model will be so much better if you want to fish. Test drive a few if you can.

· Full Fledged Member
4,928 Posts
I would advise against buying a sport/recreational kayak if you want to fish from one. If you just want to paddle they're fine, but a fishing model will be so much better if you want to fish. Test drive a few if you can.
Are there differences other than rod holders and a spot to strap a cooler (and or live well), I'm pretty good with pvc fabrication and bungie cords :), but curious if there's more to the story?

· Banned
8,573 Posts
Are there differences other than rod holders and a spot to strap a cooler (and or live well), I'm pretty good with pvc fabrication and bungie cords :), but curious if there's more to the story?
A good fishing kayak will have a rail system that will give you countless mod opportunities. A lot will have built in storage for plano 3600 boxes, water proof storage, etc. I have a Vibe Seaghost 110. Not top of the line but you get a lot for the money.

· Part-time malcontent
8,459 Posts
What mx1alex said. Also, generally your fishing kayaks are a little more stable hull as well with a sit-on-top design. Sit-on-top is easier to get in and out of the boat, and gives you better visibility and maneuverability to switch rods, grab a beer from the cooler, etc.

· Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,925 Posts
What mx1alex said. Also, generally your fishing kayaks are a little more stable hull as well with a sit-on-top design. Sit-on-top is easier to get in and out of the boat, and gives you better visibility and maneuverability to switch rods, grab a beer from the cooler, etc.
This 100%. I have two sit on top kayaks. Great to fish out of, wouldn't want to try and do it from a sit in non fishing model.

Jerhbo, Look up the Perception Sport Striker. Good entry level yak, could find them for a couple/few hundred bucks. I have one and a Jackson Big Rig. My brother has a Big Rig and two of the Sport Strikers, he will probably gonna sell one if I had to guess this summer. I'd look used vs a brand new generic sport version

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the first mods I put on the Yak.....
It's ready for my daughters first fishing trip.
I have over 5 grand into my Outback, that is not what this one is about.
This is a cheap starter that will get someone on the water on a budget.
As i stated in the vid, the Lifetime Tamarack Angler is still my #1 under $300 fishing kayak that I have came across yet... it just plain works and has everything needed.

I don't even have $200 in this Ascend 9R yet, I think for the price it will be a good start for her.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got one for my son
Cool....lemme know what you think of it.
I hear Bass Pro might be changing the MSRP to $249 very soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.