Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: jsr and Str8 Killn

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems to be the 1st time that predators have not been mentioned! Hawk write that garbage?
Just wildlife biologist interviewed.

·
14,445 Posts
I was e-mailing this lady last year while the MDC and IDNR were doing the study in northern Missouri. and she said about the same as this article, they are trying to figure out why the hens are laying less eggs

“We have been monitoring the success of the turkey hatch annually since 1959,” said Reina Tyl, a wild turkey and ruffed grouse biologist with Missouri Department of Conservation. “Unfortunately, the number of poults produced per hen each year has been on a long-term declining trend for several decades. Additionally, on average across the state, each hen has produced one or fewer poults for the last six years in a row. This has led to fewer turkeys on the landscape than what folks were used to seeing a decade ago.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“My opinion is that while we very clearly understand that annual reproduction is the driving factor behind turkey numbers, our understanding of the issues that dictate reproduction at the landscape level is still pretty vague,” said Adam B. Butler, a wild turkey program coordinator with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, and co-chair of the National Wild Turkey Federation’s National Technical Committee.

Hunters, of course, want answers now, but Butler said it will take time to develop the science needed to address the issues facing turkeys. However, he emphasized that folks shouldn’t panic. “Turkey populations are not near the verge of extinction,” he said. “So while hunters may get frustrated at the lack of instant action, they need to keep in mind that wise management takes time to get right. We will figure these things out in time.”

Reactions: robert rossow

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
That time started clicking in the late 1980,s. The decline of the wild turkey is in lock step with the increase in fur bearers whose fur entered a bear market in the late 1980,s. Since that time only disease has attempted to control egg suckers as the ground nesting birds have watched reproductive success go lower and lower.At least MDC IS GOING TO DO THE SCIENCE ON THE NEXT TURKEY STUDY.It is quite simple - nesting success is a direct correlation with egg sucker density.The historical data mdc has collected shows the story.
It is time to comment on the new regulations pertaining to getting the fur bearers under control when the price of their fur no longer gets enough of them removed. I highly support the new regulations but hope they move the Aug 1st period to July first so that sweet corn can be grown for human consuption not racoon . Mdc is going to be great again.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That time started clicking in the late 1980,s. The decline of the wild turkey is in lock step with the increase in fur bearers whose fur entered a bear market in the late 1980,s. Since that time only disease has attempted to control egg suckers as the ground nesting birds have watched reproductive success go lower and lower.At least MDC IS GOING TO DO THE SCIENCE ON THE NEXT TURKEY STUDY.It is quite simple - nesting success is a direct correlation with egg sucker density.The historical data mdc has collected shows the story.
It is time to comment on the new regulations pertaining to getting the fur bearers under control when the price of their fur no longer gets enough of them removed. I highly support the new regulations but hope they move the Aug 1st period to July first so that sweet corn can be grown for human consuption not racoon . Mdc is going to be great again.
Nice points but it those weren’t mentioned in the article.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the only article I have ever read or heard that doesn’t have predators mentioned #2 by every DNR or biologists
Post up the links

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
There is ZERO need to post links. With the exception of this 2nd grade journalistic excellence, predators are mentioned as a contributing factor in EVERY single article, document or podcast discussing the wild turkey decline. Smart fella like you can surely find those articles.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is ZERO need to post links. With the exception of this 2nd grade journalistic excellence, predators are mentioned as a contributing factor in EVERY single article, document or podcast discussing the wild turkey decline. Smart fella like you can surely find those articles.
I don’t think I asked you to post the links. But thanks.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
agree with RCG, any article, conversation, podcast, etc. always mentions predators right AFTER habitat.
So post it to share the info....

Reactions: Str8 Killn

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
Any article on decline in turkey numbers that at the very minimum does not question or discuss the impact of predation of nests and poults is suspect.....

And, I suspect it's somewhat grounded in the hatred of trapping by many biologists, etc. There is a large segment of individuals in academia, who abhor trapping, so anything that could lead to an increase interest in trapping is going to be omitted.

That article is cute, but loses credibility quickly in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
The number one thing wrong with the habitat is the out of control ,egg sucking ,into every thing, diversity destroying racoon population density.The basics of habitat improvement says that the greatest gain will be had by addressing the biggest problem. The racoon population density is the biggest problem here in NEMO.The new proposed regulation changes by MDC gives us the time to address predators and as has been shown on this forum over the last 5 years watch the resilient turkey explode with h to p ratios not seen since the 1980.s.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts