Arrow clearance issues....how to powder test?

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by cy912, Oct 10, 2017.

1. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I have an issue with my arrows with blazer vanes getting black marks on the right lower vane (cock vane up) when nocked on string. I'm guessing it's either hitting my riser, whisker biscuit housing, or one of my cables. I've heard of a powder test to rub on the areas of concern and see where the arrow hits, but what powder do I use and is it a spray on or what? Never done this before so any help is great.

I'm trying not to go the lipstick route just to save myself from going home with lipstick on my face, neck, or pant zipper (after using bathroom) and having to answer some tough questions from my wife.

2. Mailman

Mailman Retired Drip (Expert)

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

If that doesn't help here is one that has instructions pertaining to the arrow its self including the shelf and arrow rest.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

3. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I always had markings on fletching from whisker biscuit after a bunch of shots. From what I've read it's normal.

4. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    It is normal to have marks on your vanes from a Whisker Biscuit rest in fact I get black marks on all three fletchings.
    Back when I did powder test I used a spray on athletes foot product. Not sure which one but I would imagine they are all about the same.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I don't know how an arrow can go through a whisker biscuit and not get marks.

6. fstchkn

fstchkn Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    If you're only getting it on the outside of the right vane, I'd suspect the cable. Just move the guard a bit and see if it goes away.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM
  7. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    It's common to get black marks on fletchings when using a whisker biscuit. As fstchkn mentioned it might be contacting the cable if it's only the right side. You might just need to rotate the arrow knock just a bit to get the clearance you need. Just make sure not to rotate it so much that the fletchings get into the black bristles on the whisker biscuit.