Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to find something with more Lead in it to Whack Armadillos besides a Stove Poker.

Dog was raising cane last night behind the house.I go out there see a Armadillo in the Moonlight,I throw a rock at it,it runs back a little,then comes back,throw another rock,it ignores me :confused:

So I go back in the house get the Stove Poker,go out there,he runs for the Barn,I get him run out,he is standing there,I whack him with the Stove Poker.He jumps abouit a foot in the air,runs off :confused:

oneshot
:D Need to use some Lead in the Big Grins Pea Shooter.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
A baseball bat, or maybe you could get one of those expandable night sticks that cops use...

Thwap!

·
5,631 Posts
There's a country song in that somewhere!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
There's a country song in that somewhere!
I was going to say, "Armadillos in the moonlight" sounds pretty romantic....kinda like "Fishin' in the dark" or something. :rotfl:

Or could be like "Amarillo by morning",

"Dead Armadillo by morning, he was up from san antone...."

Sorry, I'm a dork. :roll2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by Lefty
A baseball bat, or maybe you could get one of those expandable night sticks that cops use...

Thwap!
I guess you all either missed or forgot my thread awhile back on our armadillo night. I solved the mystery of how many whacks it takes to get to the center of an armadillo with an aluminum basebal batt. It's 6. I had opted for the 12 gauge but when he ran into our garage, the wife had to hold the scattergun while me and the boy pursued with the bats. Your really good if you can hit a line drive with them when they jump in the air.

:D

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Bowpredator ~ I did miss that one! Sounds like an intersting, but fun night though! :cheers::D

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
i don't think a 22 short would do much if you have shot many of these it is quite susprising how hard they are to kill i was in shock at how hard they seem to be to kill with a 22 long

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
i don't think a 22 short would do much if you have shot many of these it is quite susprising how hard they are to kill i was in shock at how hard they seem to be to kill with a 22 long
Yup! Also be warned. They will put a hole in your truck tire in a hurry. So don't try and run one over on purpose....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
Yup! Also be warned. They will put a hole in your truck tire in a hurry. So don't try and run one over on purpose....
Really? We play dillo pinball every time we get a chance on the road and havent had a problem yet. Gonna have to rethink it cause tires are expensive!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
Really? We play dillo pinball every time we get a chance on the road and havent had a problem yet. Gonna have to rethink it cause tires are expensive!
Yes. As fun as they are to run over I can attest that they can puncture a tire. :D

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks to me like the Coyotes would keep their numbers down.Not saying they are too tuff,because I've seen Coyotes dig Box Turtles out of frozen ground and pop them open and eat them.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes the Little ones because they are round like him.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I found that a .40 S&W works just fine. Problem is that I apparently have two. I come out of the house every morning and there's another dirt mound in the yard that looks like an anthill on steroids. I know it's from the 'dillos because the 1st one I popped was furiouslydigging in the yard, maybe after grubs or something. I was told not to handle the carcass because they've been known to carry some kind of virulent streptoccus or staphylococcus bacteria. True or urban legend? I know not, but the HydroShok between the eyes worked as expected on one problem. Now to figure out how to coax the other one into my Trijicon Night Sight's path...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They do carry leprosy but from what I have heard, you can only get it from eating them undercooked which I aint gonna try. I'm like you though, I dont like to handle the carcasses either. I wear gloves and wash my hands real well afterward. Saw 2 on the trail yesterday (might have been the same one because my dog ran it pretty good). The dog had it at a tree stump and it was about halfway under digging for all it was worth. I didnt trust the horse I was riding well enough to shoot off of so I got off and tied him to a tree. When I turned back to the dillo, he had popped out and saw me and took off the other direction. :frown:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.