are the bucks going to shed this year?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by grimreaper8, Mar 8, 2006.

1. grimreaper8

grimreaper8 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
    went out today saw three bucks still packin both sides, without a doubt the latest ive ever seen the majority of bucks still packin, by last year i know that probably 80 percent were down, do you think that the bucks will be in velvet longer this year due to the late shedding
  2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I'm no expert but I don't think they're holding them any later than normal, especially compared to last year.
    I imagine about half have already shed and the rest will be done for the most part by the end of the month. Doesn't seem much later than normal to me.
    There are always deer shedding early and deer that shed late into april even.

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Saw deer with horns in April last year....... They'll drop 'em when they want to.

People talk every year about them dropping early, or dropping late. I have yet to have anyone say they dropped right on time.

Everyone around here was saying that they were dropping early THIS year.

4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    I glassed three bucks a week ago that had dropped theirs, but I couldn't find any sheds. I saw one forkie still toting his.

My son found a nice shed three weeks ago.

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    If they are holding on to their antlers thats is suppose to be a good thing or so thats what I heard. The nutrition and all around environment is good for those bucks.
  6. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Saw a young feller (forkhorn) last night still sporting his headgear. It must be working for him because he had 2 fine lookin' young ladies with him. :D
  7. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Thanks you I have been arguing this point at my house and it is nice to know some agree with me!
  8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    i dont think they will drop em this year, i think they'll keep em from last year grow some new ones this year, yep a whole bunch of weetodid cactus headed lookin deers this year.. yep yep :stickfight:

But no really.. some have some havent... there isnt a specific date that their antlers have to drop..
  9. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    If they can hold out until the last few weeks of March, I'll be happy. Heading to KS and I better find something!!!
  10. EHShunter

EHShunter New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Hurdland, MO
    I need to find some sheds. Seriously. I've been out every weekend so far since the end of january, haven't found a SINGLE ONE. I look in a place where NO ONE looks. :peepwall:
  11. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i havent seen a buck since early jan. there was around 10 deer out in the alflafa feild a week ago. non with racks. havent found a damn shed either. i walked miles and moutain biked miles with out any luck!
    im out of venison too that sucks even more!!!!
  12. grimreaper8

grimreaper8 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
    i was just seeing if anyone else was seeing bucks holding antlers, i am fully aware that there is no specific time they are suppost to drop. some bucks big or little can drop early or late, i was just saying that i am seeing nearly 70 - 80 percent in my area still holdin, seems late to me, only found one fresh one, last year it was alot more by this date
  13. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    there was 6 deer in my field in my backyard this mornin only 150 yards from my porch. none with headgear, but they could of been all doe. good to see big bodied deer survived the season.