are any of you guys duck hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by HawgHead, Apr 4, 2006.

1. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    i'm a quad and i think i'd like to try it. any suggestions on how to get a shooting rig set up.

2. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    i use a .270 for my deer hunting. my problem would be the shooting up. i'm not sure my rig will give me a high enough angle. i'm gonna try one of my old shot guns on my rig to see if it will works. i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before i got started.

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    HawgHead, well I think you'd have to adapt what you use for deer hunting to shotgun hunting. I saw a Video a few years back with another Quad using a swinging arm made of steel but cannot remember the details or who made the Video. The arm was counterbalanced to make it easy for the shooter to swing the shotgun. Give us some more details on how you use a deer rifle.

Jack

4. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    i use a narvaez sharpshooter gun rest. it might work, i haven't tried yet. my friend and i are gonna go out and see on his next week off. i was just wondering if there were any other quads in here that duck hunted. the less technical the better.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

I've only been once, and that was @ Heggemeier's Game Farm last year...

I'm going to give it a whirl, next season. Supposedly there's accessible blinds available, but I'm gonna need a guide (with dog) to go along too.

Keep us posted, as to your progress. I'd be honored to share a blind with ya'...

6. Man I wish I could help ya, you may want to try asking at a shooter's complex or hunt club if you have one near by. Also may want to try the MDC Waterfowl Managed area's, alot of em have handicap access blinds and may have connection for you to look into as well.

Will suggest tho if you do get something figured out tho to get out as much as possible and practice shooting skeet and trap, and mix it up with different varience's (left to right, right to left, going away, coming in, rising and falling, ect. ect.)

Good luck and keep us posted :cheers:. If you get it figured out I would definately look into the MWT sponsored duck hunt up at Heggemeier's Game Farm. You in the right spot and couldn't ask for a better bunch of folks than you'll find here.

swmo

p.s. Welcome to MWT's :wave:

7. Rick you just say the word, I've got dog, dekes, professional callers (Pman & Wingman ;) :peepwall: ), and willing to travel.

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    if you dont mind a one hand gun elevator, i woudl gladly be willing to be your gun elevator for u. I have never goten to go duck hunting yet but would love to do anythign i coudl if it will enabel you to go duck hunting. I live in Farmington not shure if we clsoe or not.

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Alright then! :dancin:

I need to do more research on the blinds, shoot some trap & once season rolls around again, I definitely want to go. And I couldn't think of a better bunch to go with... :banana:

10. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Chairman--Most of them folks down around SWMO's way are Duck Watchers---Not Duck Hunters!:cheers::cheers:

We would for sure have to figure out how to get SWMO to keep his speed down on them pre-dawn flights out of Forsyth!!!!!:rotfl:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO

:hysterical:

The most eloquent words of wisdom ive heard in a while

:rotfl:

12. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    thanks for the offer longbow. i'm about an hour south of cape. i really hope figure out a rig so i can get back to to dove hunting also. i'd also like to do some quail/pheasant hunting.

13. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    my friends have tried to get me to go to mingo for years so they could be assured a blind and not drive all that way just to have to turn around and come home. they have a place close now. thanks for the skeet idea.

14. dchriste

dchriste New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    In response to your original question, I would talk to the guys at http://www.nrahq.org/compete/disabled.asp
    They will know. Another idea to keep in the back of your head was a fellow I talked to a while back that had a counterbalance set up on his gun so that it had no weight at all to swing. He used it on a local pheasant hunt for the disabled. A really neat outfit but he wasn't comfortable with me putting a picture on the adaptations part of my site because of liability and patent issues. Let me know if the idea intrigues you and I'll try to get you in touch with him.
    Don

15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Yep, there are perks for those that take us disabled guys hunting.

(hint, hint...)

That reminds me of the time me & a few other guys decided to go to the racetrack, on a Friday night. It was gonna be packed, so I drove, since we'd be able to park up front... :D

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005

I'm a lil scared to duck hunt after seeing this....

17. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    i go to the races every friday april-october. i park at the entrance of turn 3 up on the hill.when it's cool i sit in the van, when it's nice i sit outside, when it' hot i sit in the van and run the ac and when it's cold i run the heat. i often have visitors when it's hot and cold.

18. Original Al

Original Al New Member

I'm a duck hunter. Sorry, I can't help ya with a shooting rig, but if you have any other duck hunting related questions feel free to ask.

-- Al