Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a baseball tourney in St. Peter's, well the kiddo did anyways. So, we stopped in Cabelas & Mike's Archery. Fairly interesting conversations with both places archery staff. I asked both about how there sales were and the percent of crossbows to compounds. Mike's said they still sell more compounds than crossbows (seemed likely by a fair margin), and Cabelas stated they sell 8 crossbows to each compound...then the cabelas associate says look at this and hand me the Ravin (I think), super light, super compact and not the least bit cumbersome:)

Honestly not looking for the typical crossbow debate, but it seems that after a couple years people are NOT finding crossbows cumbersome, heavy, awkward, unmanueverable, etc. ;like many here tried to sell and embellish their effectiveness with, and are NOT selling them off and going back to vertical archery.

I always assumed more archery hunters likely purchase bows from an archery shop and gun hunters would purchase gun bow from box stores, seem to be the case in my study:)

Hunt with what you want, just don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining!

· Banned
81,617 Posts
If you are constantly pissing and moaning its probably you pissing down your own back.

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Those ravin are small,I keep looking at them but dang that sticker price is tough:D
Something ive been wondering about is 3d number shooters or down and if it has effected them any.prolly a bad year to ask that though due to all the cancel ones due to flooding and rain.

· Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those ravin are small,I keep looking at them but dang that sticker price is tough:D
Something ive been wondering about is 3d number shooters or down and if it has effected them any.prolly a bad year to ask that though due to all the cancel ones due to flooding and rain.
I didn't see the price, but aren't they something like $2000+???

Yote, regarding the 3D shoots, they will probably need to consider allowing them, right? Other than the thicker arrows could they do that much more damage to the targets? Or, is there any other reason not to allow them? This may be a stretch, but the reloading time and a safety consideration (reloading wise at each station)????

Also, I don't shoot many 3d these days, but it seems like shooter numbers may have been falling before the inclusion, not sure? I need to make it a priority to shoot a couple more to introduce the boys to them and see if they enjoy them!

15,013 Posts
I have asked the same question at Cabelas and Bass Pro, they both sell a lot more crossbows the compounds. But then again, they sell high end cross bows but not high end compounds. More low to mid-price compounds. I think the Obsession Turmoil with accessories for $750 is the most expensive compound either carry.
Mike's sell high end compounds along with cheaper ones. no idea about crossbows....

Reactions: 20'

· Registered
3,227 Posts
Archery sales all around are really down for about the last three years. It was a bubble that was bound to burst. The bow companies are the biggest culprit.....selling a bow for the same money as a pretty nice firearm, but unlike a firearm has minimal resale value compared to it's new price. Plus the manufacturers started marketing a thought process that encouraged that you "needed" this year's new model when you just bought last year's latest, greatest new model. They brang it on themselves. Crossbows played a part in it but their philosophy was more costly than the addition of crossbows to the mix.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
Had a baseball tourney in St. Peter's, well the kiddo did anyways. So, we stopped in Cabelas & Mike's Archery. Fairly interesting conversations with both places archery staff. I asked both about how there sales were and the percent of crossbows to compounds. Mike's said they still sell more compounds than crossbows (seemed likely by a fair margin), and Cabelas stated they sell 8 crossbows to each compound...then the cabelas associate says look at this and hand me the Ravin (I think), super light, super compact and not the least bit cumbersome:)

Honestly not looking for the typical crossbow debate, but it seems that after a couple years people are NOT finding crossbows cumbersome, heavy, awkward, unmanueverable, etc. ;like many here tried to sell and embellish their effectiveness with, and are NOT selling them off and going back to vertical archery.

I always assumed more archery hunters likely purchase bows from an archery shop and gun hunters would purchase gun bow from box stores, seem to be the case in my study:)

All good points. The other good point is it is not negatively impacting the deer population in the least.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I retract in the least then. It is having an impact... snowflake compound hunters have lost their **** on occasion.

:D :cheers:

Reactions: BigRack

· Banned
66,381 Posts
"Just one example of **** stirring that happens here constantly from a few select members."

Sound familiar kettle?:rofl:
I don't think Lazarus has ever whined or complained that people are picking on him.

· Registered
6,032 Posts

Not looking for a crossbow debate, But? 20' of course you dont want to debate, but you never miss a chance to throw your bi*** in to the mix. Crossbows are still 9 to 10 pounds hunt ready. All of the things you mention awkward, cumberson, unmanueverable when compared to vertical bows are still true. You are not a good judge.

Why would bow shops that usually carry limited stock if any crossbows sell many? And what is their attitude towards them, or potential customers. Most of the folks I know are buying on-line from the sites that deal exclusively in the crossbow markets, and offer the best prices and accessories.

Usually people that are having crossbow and or shooting issues like you describe are self generated issues. Dry fires, and or shooting groups, which damage arrows are the no. 1 cause of cut strings and partial dry fires that disassemble bows. Lack of attention will bite you. Shooting groups is cool but, damaged arrows are dangerous.

Crossbows are here to stay, the users ranks are growing every year. Barely a peep is heard anymore either pro or con except for your quarterly rant or pot stir. Just let it go it doesnt matter.

15,013 Posts
Most of the folks I know are buying on-line from the sites that deal exclusively in the crossbow markets, and offer the best prices and accessories..
And yet, the big box stores sell more crossbows then compounds also, your point is?

20' probably has not shot one of them new compact light weight crossbows. With lighter weight and more speed, they kick like as if you are shooting a .950 JDJ rifle shooting a 2,400gr bullet....:wave1:

· Registered
21,443 Posts
I don't think Lazarus has ever whined or complained that people are picking on him.
Just freaking hilarious that at 9:56 this morning, Laz makes the post in this thread that "archer"66 says all studies are flawed and should be discounted and then at 10:00 am, 4 minutes later, calls me out with quote "Just one example of **** stirring that happens here constantly from a few select members." No matter how biased you are, you should be able to laugh at the irony of those two posts so close together. If not, SMH :D :wave1:

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Just freaking hilarious that at 9:56 this morning, Laz makes the post in this thread that "archer"66 says all studies are flawed and should be discounted and then at 10:00 am, 4 minutes later, calls me out with quote "Just one example of **** stirring that happens here constantly from a few select members." No matter how biased you are, you should be able to laugh at the irony of those two posts so close together. If not, SMH :D :wave1:
Ill laugh because its funny. Its ALL funny....

But I guess my point was, Laz knows and I would suspect admits when hes stirring where as the others cry victim even though they start just as much or more.

Reactions: CRE10 and Chew

· Registered
3,227 Posts
Knew you'd like that. Just leveling the playing field a bit son. There's a handful of you that can't make a post without some sort of snarky veiled reference directed at hawk. Like I said...........and he's the problem here.

· Registered
21,443 Posts
Ill laugh because its funny. Its ALL funny....

But I guess my point was, Laz knows and I would suspect admits when hes stirring where as the others cry victim even though they start just as much or more.
Did I cry victim? If so, I have Ronald Reagan syndrome. o_O

· Registered
6,032 Posts
And yet, the big box stores sell more crossbows then compounds also, your point is?

20' probably has not shot one of them new compact light weight crossbows. With lighter weight and more speed, they kick like as if you are shooting a .950 JDJ rifle shooting a 2,400gr bullet....:wave1:
Big box stores sell more because they stock several models and price ranges that customers can shoot. They also arent judgemental in what method bow you decide to use. Many go to basspro shoot the bows then buy online.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.