archery proposal

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by hunter7x, Feb 8, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Meeting to discuss archery proposal

By Denise Wilson
    Post staff reporter

A Fort Mitchell City Council committee didn't make a recommendation to council Monday about a proposed bow and arrow ordinance.

That's because the committee wants more time to study the issue before making a recommendation, said Fort Mitchell City Clerk Amy Able.

However, she said the committee would discuss the issue during a public meeting at 6 p.m. Feb. 20 in council chambers at the City Building.

Committee members recently witnessed archery demonstrations at two residents' homes to help them become familiar with the sport and make a better decision about the proposed ordinance.

Instead of banning the use of bows and arrows outright, the city is studying several ordinances from outside cities, including Jasper, Ind., and Roswell, Ga.

The proposed ordinance says no person shall be allowed to shoot a bow and arrow in Fort Mitchell.

It also says that no adult shall furnish to a minor by gift, loan or hire any bow, crossbow, arrow or other projectile with the knowledge or intent that the minor is to discharge the device within the city.

Council postponed a second reading on the ordinance at its Oct. 17 meeting to make revisions.

The changes dealt with allowing an exception for schools that want to offer archery programs to students.

Schools would be required to show proof of independent liability insurance.

Fort Mitchell Police Chief Steve Hensley, who also serves as the city's administrator, said the city began to take a close look at the ban after a Highland Avenue family's cat was struck by an arrow while playing in the woods behind their house.

He said that even though the cat survived, the family incurred about $1,000 in veterinarian bills.

Other Northern Kentucky cities that have banned bows and arrows, air rifles, pellet guns, sling shots, toy guns, pistols and rifles, include Covington, Crestview Hills, Edgewood, Erlanger, Elsmere, Florence, Fort Wright, Lakeside Park, Park Hills and Villa Hills.

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/NEWS02/602070365/1014

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    $1000.00 in veterinary bills for a CAT?????

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    lol
    Funny how that leaps out at ya isn't it ?!!

4. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    How else you suppose to get rid of cats in the city limits.

5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    You've got a point !! :hysterical:

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    You guys should know that kittY cost alot of moneY:D... At least they came out and looked at how archery is suposed to be and did not just say no.

7. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    sounds like someone almost made a good shot on the kitty.

bet the vet is still laughing about that bill that got paid. If I'd paid that kinda coin I'd believe that cat would be an inside kitty as well.

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Years ago, before I got into archery, there was a proposal to outlaw shooting your bow in Marshall. One of the "oldtimers" in our bowclub was telling me this story...I guess the club gathered all it's members and bowshooting nonmembers, and went to the city council meeting where the council was to vote on this proposal...I guess it was standing room only!!! I guess the council listened to the club members who spoke out, and we've been shootin our bows since!!! I for one am glad the bowclub didn't take this lying down.....

9. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    hahahahahha are you shure that wasnt in bakersfield california???? as my buddy shoots cats with his bow.he sets up in his backyard with tuna and waits he showed me some videos. priceless. o yeah where he lives there like 100's and 100's of cats.
    when i lived there i used to shot my bow in the backyard, shure the longest was 25 yards, but thats practice.
    drinks miller
    cat killer!