Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my new (new to me) bow for 2010 season and im wanting to get everything set up perfectly on this bow i have never really paid to much attention to my total arrow weight before so i am curious what you guys think it should be... here are my specs

draw length - 31.5 inches
draw weight - 65 lbs
let off - 70%
arrow length - 33 inches

right now i am currently shooting a 33 inch long Redhead Carbon Fury 4560 Arrow with a 125 grain tip (field point and broadhead) im not sure how much in total it weighs but do you think i should be shooting a heavier arrow?

Thanks for your help!

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by KixGrizz]

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
My guess is 455gr?If ya use a Maxima or flatliner
but a fmj will be around 515gr?

What arrows ya shootin

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
As long as ya shoot 5 grains per pound your good on the weight

The more ya add the slower you shoot but gain KE to a certain point

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
You need to do a little tweaking I believe. The 5 grain per lb thing is ok to ensure your bow dosnt blow up, but it means nothing when it comes to arrow flight.

Right now with that arrow length and 125 tip weight you are way underspined. Your arrows will be wobbling all over the place when you shoot. You should try to get an arrow around 30" (may have to move your rest back some).

I'll Use Easton Excel for Examples. http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

If you stay with 125 grain tip, you would need to be in a 300 spine arrow, those are 10 grains per inch. So with tip(125), fletching, nock, insert... approx 445 grains @ 30"

If you drop to a 100 grain tip you can get into a .340 spine at 9.5 grains per inch. So with tip(100), fletching, nock, insert....approx 405 grains @ 30"

That could equal 12 fps.

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by MellerAM]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,045 Posts
31 1/2" draw?:eek: What are you son, half gorilla?:rof2::rof2:

Full length arrows with heavy points take a very heavy spine. I suspect 4560's arean't going to be anywhere close to heavy enough to shoot well.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
Refuze is really close on your finsished arrow weight. You could get a flatter shooting arrow if you want to spend the $$. Pinwheel is also correct your current arrow is way underspined for your current setup. At your draw length you need Carbon Fury 6075. That change will also bring the total weight of the arrow up.

If you want to shoot faster look for some Carbon Express CX 300's, they are great arrows and you won't break the bank completely.

BTH

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
I didn't read this correctly that you were still using the carbon fury arrows

Per their spine chart that only goes to 32" as stated you are quite a bit underspined. A 31" 4560 is rated for approx 55lbs of weight....And that drops with a 125gr tip

excuse my lack of reading the original post

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Faster's not better, stick with heavy!!!:D:wave:

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
New bow??? :claphands::claphands: Congrats on that.

Little more info on the bow itself, but frist thing I would do is throw those arrows out and start all over. Take you bow over to an actual Pro Shop (not Bass Pro) and have a talk with them. They will cut your arrows down to the proper size and get you set up with the right weight of field tips. Don't know hardly anyone, except traditional shooters, that are useing 125 grain tips. With a new bow you want everything right to get the best preformance.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
[rquote=1505316&tid=104994&author=MoBowman]New bow??? :claphands::claphands: Congrats on that.

Little more info on the bow itself, but frist thing I would do is throw those arrows out and start all over. Take you bow over to an actual Pro Shop (not Bass Pro) and have a talk with them. They will cut your arrows down to the proper size and get you set up with the right weight of field tips. Don't know hardly anyone, except traditional shooters, that are useing 125 grain tips. With a new bow you want everything right to get the best preformance.[/rquote]

x2

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1505383&tid=104994&author=Landlover]What bow did you get? [/rquote]

X2, did you venture to the darkside and grab the new Matthews:thinking:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1505316&tid=104994&author=MoBowman]New bow??? :claphands::claphands: Congrats on that.

Little more info on the bow itself, but frist thing I would do is throw those arrows out and start all over. Take you bow over to an actual Pro Shop (not Bass Pro) and have a talk with them. They will cut your arrows down to the proper size and get you set up with the right weight of field tips. Don't know hardly anyone, except traditional shooters, that are useing 125 grain tips. With a new bow you want everything right to get the best preformance.[/rquote]

Add me to your short list....Shooting full length GT's with 125gr Magnus Snuffers off this new Hoyt!!! Low and slow, low and slow, quiet kills!!!!!!:pop::cheers::rof2::wave:

Plus, just cuz a guy in a "pro" shop says I should shoot a certain weight field tip, doesn't make him right. That's why there's options on arrow charts!!!

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Its all about prefrence. You just need to pair the right head with the right arrow. Nothing wrong with 125...or heavier, just need to have a stiff enough arrow behind it :cheers: Use a chart (gold tip, easton) and you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1505204&tid=104994&author=pinwheel]31 1/2" draw?:eek: What are you son, half gorilla?:rof2::rof2:
[/rquote]

LOL.. Well Im only 6 ft 5 inches tall but my wingspan is 84 inches long.. so yeah half gorrila is about right...:hysterical:

[rquote=1505204&tid=104994&author=MoBowman]New bow??? Congrats on that.

Little more info on the bow itself, but frist thing I would do is throw those arrows out and start all over. Take you bow over to an actual Pro Shop (not Bass Pro) and have a talk with them. They will cut your arrows down to the proper size and get you set up with the right weight of field tips. Don't know hardly anyone, except traditional shooters, that are useing 125 grain tips. With a new bow you want everything right to get the best preformance[/rquote]

Thats my plan sir.. Gettin rid of all my old junk and starting over completely!

[rquote=1505204&tid=104994&author=Landlover]What bow did you get?[/rquote]

Well I found a deal i couldnt refuse on a 2008 model Diamond Nitrous.. Ill post pics up later... Just figured i would save myself a few hundred bucks from getting a brand new 2010 model bow..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would say your 33"arrows are way too long for your draw length and they will be weak in spine at that length .You can stiffen the spine by cutting the length of the arrows . With most bows you can shoot arrows the same length or less than your draw length because the risers are cut away past center.
I like to cut my own arrow shafts about 1-1.5" past the arrow rest , taking into account the rest design and broadhead clearance .
You can also stiffen the spine by decreasing the point weight to 100 gr. broadheads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts