Anyone used a garmin...

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by JrNation88, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JrNation88

JrNation88 New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    will be hunting Mingo for muzzleloader and have been told many times to take a GPS. Do not have one of those handheld ones but my parents have a basic Garmin for their vehicle. You think that would work? I played with it a bit and found that you can 'save your location' but would it be able to help me find my way to and from my stand/truck?

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    My basic garmin nuvi has a walk mode but it still goes by street.....I think if you try one of those in an area with no roads it will constantly tell you it is recalculating and to follow the highlighted route. Don't know if it would get you out or not....haven't tried mine that way.

3. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1892738&tid=131831&author=archer66]My basic garmin nuvi has a walk mode but it still goes by street.....I think if you try one of those in an area with no roads it will constantly tell you it is recalculating and to follow the highlighted route. Don't know if it would get you out or not....haven't tried mine that way.

[/rquote]

ive got the same unit. the lady says "break down and buy a GPS" when you try it in the woods :scared::D

4. 160983

160983 Guest

Check the battery life. Alot of the vehicle models have such a short battery life you are forced to use them in a vehicle only. My garmin will probably only last an hour without a power source. Plus I dont believe it will allow me to set waypoints.:02:

5. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

drt, map & compass!

6. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    I'm not sure if you can or not. You would have to have the coordinates of your stand and I don't know if you can get them with a car gps. With a hand held you would just go to your stand hit a button and it will mark the coordinates where you are standing.

The hand held units are a lot tougher than the car ones and are also waterproof where the car ones are not. You drop a car gps and it will probably break where a hand held will take a pretty good jolt.

Sorry I still didn't answer your question but the bottom line is You've got to have the coordinates to have a gps to take you to where you want to go.

7. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

"WATERPROOF" gps? Where? Who makes it?

8. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    I think most, if not all hand held GPS units are waterproof. You can actually hold them under water for a few minutes and not hurt them. With some searching you can find how many minutes a certain brand they will stand under water. I think with my Garmin hand helds it's 30 minutes.

9. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    [rquote=1892764&tid=131831&author=SNA2STL]"WATERPROOF" gps? Where? Who makes it?[/rquote]

My Garmin map 76csx is waterproof and it floats......tested those features rather well in Canada between the rain and knocking it into the lake once. Also stepped on it in the bottom of the boat...pretty durable unit.

10. JrNation88

JrNation88 New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    thanks gentlemen. surely do not wanna mess theres up. They did tell me its one of those nuvi units as well so probably just roads. I dont wanna be in the middle of the woods with the lady hollering at me to 'make a u turn, make a u turn'

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    [rquote=1893446&tid=131831&author=JrNation88]thanks gentlemen. surely do not wanna mess theres up. They did tell me its one of those nuvi units as well so probably just roads. I dont wanna be in the middle of the woods with the lady hollering at me to 'make a u turn, make a u turn' [/rquote]i despise that lady:hysterical:

12. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    iPhone in a zip lock bag. Or laminated topo maps and compass. That's all I need.

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    And then there is my usual... I would use a garmin, but charmin works so well and I don't get cut!:D