Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they are also called comfort zone heaters. Not real big but I hear they really cut down on your heat bill and pay for themselfs in less than a year.
I am not sure how long they have been around, but I heard about them around a year ago.

Thinking pretty hard about getting one. Does anyone know of anywhere in my neck of the woods to pick one up? I heard of a place in Brookfield but couldn't find a website for them. Would love to see what theirs look like and a price with them before I drive up there to buy one.

·
SHED ON
5,637 Posts
my BIL got one a couple of years ago when they added on a kitchen They seem to like it real well. It does a good job heating and he says that it about balances out between what ya save in gas as to what it cost in electricity

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I can't speak personally on this but the neighbor put one in his old farm house
last winter when propane was "GOLD" and it cut his bill in half.
Also be sure and google some product reviews on those heater's,
there are several mfg's and i believe the comfort zone is on the bottom of the list.

dino

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Even the large model is only 5600 btu's, definitely will keep one room warm, but I can't see it making a huge difference throughout the whole house.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
We have a similar heater--EdenPure 1000. Same one Paul Harvey pushes. Bought it locally for about $100 less than the one above. It will keep about 1000 sq ft nicely warm. Until last two days furnace hadn't run.

One of my sons bought two and rigged them to the air intake on his furnace and is heating his whole house with the blower.

I went back and bought three more. Another one for myself, one for a grandson and one for another son.

I am sold on these puppies. They produce a lot of heat for a fraction of what it costs to run an electric furnace.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the eden pure just a bit ago online.

Got another question. On the eden pure website it states you can't use an adapter or power strip to plug these into the wall. Why would that be and what would it hurt? The area in our house I am wanting to put one doesn't have the grounded outlets and I am by no means an electrician. Is this true or could I just use an adapter or power strip and not worry about it?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
RBH,
The adapter is not heavy enough to handle the amps. They will melt down & cause a fire. Can't You just change out the outlet to a 3 prong grounded outlet but just don't ground it ?
Cat

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by catmech_99
RBH,
The adapter is not heavy enough to handle the amps. They will melt down & cause a fire. Can't You just change out the outlet to a 3 prong grounded outlet but just don't ground it ?
Cat
Will that work?

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
I wouldn't use either one for safety reasons. You'd be better off to change the outlet and run a ground wire to it from a cold water line. You might even find there is already one there in the wall box. A 3 wire 12 gauge extention cord run from a grounded outlet would be another choice.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
RBH,
It would work just fine,but it would be better to ground it like Modeerhunter said. In that brick house it may be tough to run the ground wire. I would stay away from any kind of extension cord if possible !!
Cat

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
RBH-The Eden Pure manual says you can use an adaptor iIF it is attached to a properly grounded outlet box.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Most adapters have a ground prong on them, but like PV said, the box must be grounded in order for it to provide the ground protection you need. If the box is grounded it's just as easy and a better connection to just change the outlet.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
What is Your opinions of not using the 3rd wire ground? He is in a brick home & pulling a new ground wire may be kinda tough !! We have lived in a few older houses & they did not have grounded outlets,but We still used 3 prong corded devices.
Cat

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
In the event something electrical goes wrong with the device, the ground wire provides the path of least resistance, meaning the current will travel down the ground wire instead of into someone that touches the device. Will they work without it, yes, but is it really that safe to do so, no. The higher the amp draw, the more important it becomes.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Modeerhunter ,
I definately agree,but it is a way to get it done. RBH,How far is it to the nearest water pipe?
Cat

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am guessing it could be grounded to a water pip on the inside of the house?

I think I am going to take the safe approach and hire an electrician to do the work. Mainly because I know absolutly nothing about electricity. The origional part of my house has grounded outlets in the kitchen and bathroom only. Problem is I want to put this heater in the dining room area cause that would help heat that room, the kitchen and most importantly, my boys room.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good deal. All they should have to do is drill through the floor and the cold water line will be just a few feet away.

Thanks All

1 - 20 of 36 Posts