Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
I've used cantaloupes as an analog to see if the blades actually open, but they should. Durability through the wound channel would be the thing I am most concerned with if they are cheapos.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I shot Rocket MiniBlasters for a few years. They look similar to those heads. My only complaint was on some but not all of the shots the head didn’t open until it was inside the skin making a small entry hole. Guess it depended on the shots location and angle of entry. On the shots where it opened under the skin and I didn’t get an exit hole blood trailing was difficult.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just to update on performance;

I shot a doe with one of these, and she was slightly quartered to me. I shot through one leg (completely breaking it), then through the chest cavity and got a complete pass-through. We never found the bolt, so unless we happen to spot it I can't report on the condition of the broadhead or the bolt. It definitely did the job though.

I got a Barnett XP380 crossbow

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Maybe for a meat doe but it’s not the one I want on my nock when I find the one I’m looking for

• Haha
Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I’m just saying if I had the biggest buck I’d ever seen in my life in range I want arrows and broadheads of known quality. You never know when he will pop up.

Reactions: BC-Buck

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Most mechanical broadheads seem cheaply made to me including Rages. I’ve killed a truck load of deer with the Chinadermics that you used to be able to get, they were a knock off of the Rage hyperdermics but at a fraction of the cost. Use what you want and have faith in.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Most mechanical broadheads seem cheaply made to me including Rages. I’ve killed a truck load of deer with the Chinadermics that you used to be able to get, they were a knock off of the Rage hyperdermics but at a fraction of the cost. Use what you want and have faith in.
Are Rage made in China and the cheaply so called made coming out of same factory, being sold from manufacture?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Are Rage made in China and the cheaply so called made coming out of same factory, being sold from manufacture?
I’ve detected a slight difference in them but have no clue where they might be made. The blades on real Rage heads are sharper and more finely ground. The knockoffs blades have rougher cutting edges and a slightly different collar that holds the blades. That being said I’ve seen multiple elk, deer and bear killed with them without any failures. I won’t use the knockoffs solely because I feel it’s theft. Stealing another companies profits after they have developed, tested, advertised and patented them isn’t right in my book even if the real thing is grossly overpriced.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
They are one-and-done heads, but still a lot cheaper than the brand-name models. My boss has killed plenty of deer with knock-off Rages over the past few years and they worked as well as the name brand models. I've had great luck with shooting deer and resharpening my Grim Reapers over the years I have stuck with them.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
I’ve detected a slight difference in them but have no clue where they might be made. The blades on real Rage heads are sharper and more finely ground. The knockoffs blades have rougher cutting edges and a slightly different collar that holds the blades. That being said I’ve seen multiple elk, deer and bear killed with them without any failures. I won’t use the knockoffs solely because I feel it’s theft. Stealing another companies profits after they have developed, tested, advertised and patented them isn’t right in my book even if the real thing is grossly overpriced.
If they did nothing to protect their intellectual property on the design, its not your fault to use a knock-off.

Sometimes in patent law, very minor differences (if not protected) can eliminate the need to comply with prior art.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If they did nothing to protect their intellectual property on the design, its not your fault to use a knock-off.

Sometimes in patent law, very minor differences (if not protected) can eliminate the need to comply with prior art.
Originally the knockoffs were packaged in identical packages to Rages. Same name, same packaging, same barcode same everything. Only difference is they don’t have the little security tag device inside. You could also tell by the way the plastic was sealed around the edges. Knockoffs were done kind of sloppy and true Rage packaging was clean looking. They were claiming to be Rage heads not something similar. Many people were buying knockoffs thinking they had purchased the real thing at a discount. Now you can get them without the packaging through eBay in names like Raging heads or rear deploying broadhead.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Originally the knockoffs were packaged in identical packages to Rages. Same name, same packaging, same barcode same everything. Only difference is they don’t have the little security tag device inside. You could also tell by the way the plastic was sealed around the edges. Knockoffs were done kind of sloppy and true Rage packaging was clean looking. They were claiming to be Rage heads not something similar. Many people were buying knockoffs thinking they had purchased the real thing at a discount. Now you can get them without the packaging through eBay in names like Raging heads or rear deploying broadhead.
That is mis-branding/trade dress infringement and the company doing that can be sued.
IF someone made their own version of a product and used the original trade dress, thats a violation of the federal Lanham Act. They could be sued and the FTC would get involved.

I thought you were buying a very similar broadhead in functionality.

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,876 Posts
I don’t think I’d trust cheap mechanicals, but I did just buy some cheap one piece broadheads. I like the way they fly but they are not very sharp so once I fix that, I’m feeling pretty good about them.

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's just a doe, right?
Slick comment. But out of context completely. I will wait for the right broadside shot on a doe, if she doesn’t give it to me I will wait for the next one. But let’s be honest if you see a booner are you gonna pass him up if he don’t offer you that broadside 2 lung hit? That’s hard to call. But I’m not gonna try a quartering to shot with any off brand stuff. Not with most brand name stuff for that matter.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
But I recommend watching the Lusk Archery Adventures reviews on some of the deepower Amazon heads. Some of them are incredible.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts