Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
14,682 Posts
I would not buy an expandable knock off, maybe a fixed if I ever run out of Thunderheads, but then I would switch to Magnus any way. My brother gave me some expandalbes like pictured, after sitting in a drawer for a few years I threw them away.

I am not sure how many years 6 Thunderheads have lasted me, I either re-sharpen or replace he blades.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I’ve used the Rage hypodermic knockoffs from Amazon and eBay and couldn’t tell any difference on durability but the blades needed sharpened. I think there all made overseas except for grim reapers and they are a nice broadhead.

·
Land buying addiction
13,852 Posts
Don’t buy them, I bought some Walmart cheapos and had them break apart on the shoulders of two different deer.
I have high quality heads break on shoulders. Don’t shoot deer in the shoulder it’s asking for trouble. O shot the cheap carbon express from Walmart for years with great results. I broke a blade sometimes but still had two cutting.

·
Registered
21,419 Posts
The "Cheapy" broadheads I use are a six pack of Muzzy's. I think I bought them for right at or under $5/broadhead. Plenty cheap for the average number of shots I take per year, and a strong, sharp broadhead.

Reactions: STTH

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have high quality heads break on shoulders. Don’t shoot deer in the shoulder it’s asking for trouble. O shot the cheap carbon express from Walmart for years with great results. I broke a blade sometimes but still had two cutting.
Good advice, but shots don’t always go as planned, sounds like it’s happened to you also😊 These particular Walmart specials had the tip deformed and the blades sheared, even hitting a shoulder I was surprised at how poorly they held together.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I’m new to bow hunting so you can take this with a grain or a whole shaker of salt. I shoot a cheap Amazon bow, wear the cheapest camo if I even wear camo, cheap out on ALMOST everything. But I would never shoot a cheap Amazon broadhead at a game animal!

Save those things for trash pandas and coyotes, etc.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The problem is concentricity and all are out to some extent. Make sure they fly exactly like your field points at your max range. Fast X bows are even more touchy needing quality spine matched shafts and concentric broad heads. To many variables to take into consideration to talk about accuracy.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Good advice, but shots don’t always go as planned, sounds like it’s happened to you also😊 These particular Walmart specials had the tip deformed and the blades sheared, even hitting a shoulder I was surprised at how poorly they held together.
Are you talking about Rages? I’ve had them break on rib shots, there aren’t to many tough broadheads out there anymore, especially the mechanical ones.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They arrived today. The blades seem a bit more wobbly than the ones on the Vortex 125s I used to have, but otherwise they seem alright. We'll know more once I shoot them at/into something.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts