Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this year I am having a heck of a time getting deer to step in front of my trail cam. Yesterday while wondering around orschelns I picked up a bag of apple flavored corn and dumped it in front of my camera. Has anyone else tried this and if so do deer seam to like it? I am starting to think desperate times call for some desperate messures. I have got my trail cam set up in the same spot it took hundreds of pics at this time last year. It is set up over a salt/mineral area with a good water source only 100 yards away, but so far no pics. Any other suggestions other than moving the camera?

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The camera shows that the batterys are good and whenever I go to check the camera it will always take a purrty picture of me.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
When we put our plot in we had apple corn in our feeder. We went thru about 50lbs every 2 weeks. Deer, *****, Squirrels.....you name it. They loved it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
i have used it a couple of times to get deer to find it its scented really strong. i don't stick with it very long though if you look the protein is pretty low. so i normally switch to something with out a deer pic on the bag you can get more neutriens that way

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
if you really really want to attract deer find some of this stuff you just dump it on the ground in a small hole. it has some rain grard in it so don't worry it may rain some day. as far as i can tell ***** and squrils don't miss with it.

we have been using it on the farm home down in the acron belt of the ozarks and the deer are taring it up more than any thing i have ever used.

its not cheap but they will find it and go crazy. best luck of finding it is at mfa alot of them seem to have it.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/catalog/buck_bran_25_lbs__bag_4992881.htm

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
i have used it a couple of times to get deer to find it its scented really strong. i don't stick with it very long though if you look the protein is pretty low. so i normally switch to something with out a deer pic on the bag you can get more neutriens that way
Yep I noticed there wasn't much protein in it. I actually put it out right around my mineral so hopefully the apple corn's smell will also get them heading to my mineral more often.
I am going to wait until sunday and go check the camera again, so hopefully by then I will have some pics to share.

·
just a no body
15,867 Posts
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
if you really really want to attract deer find some of this stuff you just dump it on the ground in a small hole. it has some rain grard in it so don't worry it may rain some day. as far as i can tell ***** and squrils don't miss with it.

we have been using it on the farm home down in the acron belt of the ozarks and the deer are taring it up more than any thing i have ever used.

its not cheap but they will find it and go crazy. best luck of finding it is at mfa alot of them seem to have it.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/catalog/buck_bran_25_lbs__bag_4992881.htm
I see that Buck Bran used/advertised alot on the Outdoor Channel

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I've used a few hundred pounds of the apple corn in front of my camera and man did it go fast...............................those RACOONS LOVE it!!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
don't forget the tree rats as well.

i am telling you all if you got the cash that buck bran is NOT just a gimick it is the s#!t i don't even have cable to see it on tv advertisements.

·
Registered
479 Posts
RBH were have you been Chester says your not allowed to leave the house just what I was told. Applecorn works good if you like that corn in your pictures I prefer a good old beanfield the pictures are much purtier.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I had a thought on your no picture problem.

It could be that your heat sensor isn't really working. With the air temps as high as they are the heat from the deer's body may not be enough to trigger the camera. I think I have this problem as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oh that Apple corn. I thought you meant Appelkorn, that fine licquor from Germany.

Spent a few nights in the brig cuz of this stuff. It went down real good like apple cider but after about an hour you felt like Tarzan, complete with taking all your clothes off, beating on your chest and yelling. The MPs were not amused.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.