anyone shot these yet?????

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by yankee, Nov 10, 2010.

1. yankee

yankee Senior Member

2. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    No, but let me know how they do for ya.:wave:

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i don't like expensive, but thought id print some on paper

4. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    We have used the .50 caliber 180 grain and didn't have much luck with them. We killed several deer, but in all the deer that we took with them we never had an exit wound. Zero blood and the deer went a little ways. They did the job I guess, killed each deer and we recovered them, but I really was not a fan of the no blood trail when the deer run.

5. Deer ive harvested with my ML have always either dropped in their tracks or ran only a short distance with little to no blood. What bullets have produced the best blood trails for people in the past.

6. yankee

yankee Senior Member

Hornady XTP's in a 300gr HP produce outstanding blood trails, as do the Hornady SST's, hoytshooter, do you think maybe if it was a 235-250 grain slug it would have passed thru??? was you able to recover the slug???

7. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I can't open the link right now to look at it

180gr bullet is just too light for my liking. Shooting a 45cal bullet, a 250 is really the minimum and I would love to shoot the 300 grain xtp if they shot to the same point of impact in my rifle as some other bullets I shoot do.

The construction of the bullet is very important. The XTP has a great history and 250 is enough for deer (though minimum in my opinion). Other bullets that fragment (like the Harvester Sabertooth I shoot) need to be pushing 300 grains in order to ensure an exit.

8. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1889467&tid=131613&author=curtism1234]I can't open the link right now to look at it

180gr bullet is just too light for my liking. Shooting a 45cal bullet, a 250 is really the minimum and I would love to shoot the 300 grain xtp if they shot to the same point of impact in my rifle as some other bullets I shoot do.

The construction of the bullet is very important. The XTP has a great history and 250 is enough for deer (though minimum in my opinion). Other bullets that fragment (like the Harvester Sabertooth I shoot) need to be pushing 300 grains in order to ensure an exit. [/rquote] wouldn't bother me 1 lick to use a 200gr xtp IF i could get them to print like the 300gr

9. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I don't know if it was the weight or not. I've shot the heavy polymer tipped powerbelt bullets and had similar experience. We never recovered the slugs so my thought is that the polymer tip just causes way too much fragmentation and the loss in retention really causes the lack of passthroughs.

The most devastating ML bullets I've used have been the 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelts. Now those put the hurt on a deer.

10. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    [rquote=1889487&tid=131613&author=Hoytshooter]I don't know if it was the weight or not. I've shot the heavy polymer tipped powerbelt bullets and had similar experience. [/rquote]

I hear so many horror stories I'll never even give those a try :mad2:

I'll learn from everyone else's mistake :pop:

11. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1889487&tid=131613&author=Hoytshooter]I don't know if it was the weight or not. I've shot the heavy polymer tipped powerbelt bullets and had similar experience. We never recovered the slugs so my thought is that the polymer tip just causes way too much fragmentation and the loss in retention really causes the lack of passthroughs.

The most devastating ML bullets I've used have been the 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelts. Now those put the hurt on a deer.[/rquote]

good point, i have had some bad experiences with polymer tipped slugs, specifically those yellow tipped ones, not going to mention names, the hornadys i shoot have yet to fail me, just thought id paper test these that i linked

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1889495&tid=131613&author=curtism1234][rquote=1889487&tid=131613&author=Hoytshooter]I don't know if it was the weight or not. I've shot the heavy polymer tipped powerbelt bullets and had similar experience. [/rquote]

I hear so many horror stories I'll never even give those a try :mad2:

I'll learn from everyone else's mistake :pop:[/rquote]

absolutely horrible..the powerbelts i mean. shot a deer with one at 40 yards and it writhed and jumped around on its hind legs long enough for me to reload, get out of the blind, walk up to it and shoot it again. wont ever use a powerbelt again.

13. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    well if you use hornady xtps ,you wont use anything else the 300s are awesome

14. Hallwilliamj

Hallwilliamj New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Bootheel
    Ive had good luck out of this load.

250gr Barnes TEZ
    45 gr of AA 5744
    Out of a Savage 10ML-II