anyone shooting g5 Montecs?

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by JrNation88, Nov 3, 2010.

1. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    I decided to switch back to fixed blades and picked up some G5 montecs. Kinda a bummer the did not come with a practice head though. My question is this, my bow was tuned before season and was shooting Rage's almost identical with my field tips. Do you think these G5's will be on the money as well? i really hate shooting a hunting blade at my target to figure it out. I'll do it if i just have to but wanted your thoughts

2. bowbender

bowbender Active Member

The Montec is re-sharpenable, I would shoot them before going to the woods though.

They will fly same POI with field tips if you and the bow are tuned proper.

You only have to shoot one of them, If the others spin test true there is no need to shoot the rest.
    They are a quality head. Good Luck !!!!!!

3. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    A nice little trick to take care of any tuning issues that you might run into with a three blade fixed broadhead... get a pack of the rubber o-rings used for the expandable broadheads; put the ring on the threaded shaft of the fixed blade; screw it into your arrow shaft until it starts to tighten up; lay your arrow on a flat surface and turn the broadhead tighter until the blades of the broadhead match the fletchings on you arrow. Montecs will fly like a field point if you do this trick. this way, you won't have to re-sight your bow or dull your blades. win-win situation.

4. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    I shoot the Montecs, great broadhead and my fly like a field point.

5. buxNdux

buxNdux New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    KC
    I shoot them...I like them due to the fact they are one-piece cut on contact heads, durable, and easy to resharpen. They also are known for flying better than a lot of other fixed blade heads...that shouldn't be an excuse not to shoot a tuned bow though. Only downside is that they aren't as sharp as a lot of other broadheads out of the package.

6. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    [rquote=1878961&tid=130865&author=Squid Hunter]A nice little trick to take care of any tuning issues that you might run into with a three blade fixed broadhead... get a pack of the rubber o-rings used for the expandable broadheads; put the ring on the threaded shaft of the fixed blade; screw it into your arrow shaft until it starts to tighten up; lay your arrow on a flat surface and turn the broadhead tighter until the blades of the broadhead match the fletchings on you arrow. Montecs will fly like a field point if you do this trick. this way, you won't have to re-sight your bow or dull your blades. win-win situation.[/rquote]

I will give this a try. I'm guessing the o-ring allows you to stop short of going all the way but enough to hold it in place?

7. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I shoot the montecs and they are great. Super durable and easy to sharpen. You can use a flat stone and the blades are angled such that you just lay it with two blades touching and go.

The o rings are on my arrows as well. You just tighten it snug and spin test it, if it isn't quite true tighted it a hair more and so on until it spins true.

8. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    when i shot the montecs they shot a bit lower than my field tips

9. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    [rquote=1879034&tid=130865&author=JrNation88][rquote=1878961&tid=130865&author=Squid Hunter]A nice little trick to take care of any tuning issues that you might run into with a three blade fixed broadhead... get a pack of the rubber o-rings used for the expandable broadheads; put the ring on the threaded shaft of the fixed blade; screw it into your arrow shaft until it starts to tighten up; lay your arrow on a flat surface and turn the broadhead tighter until the blades of the broadhead match the fletchings on you arrow. Montecs will fly like a field point if you do this trick. this way, you won't have to re-sight your bow or dull your blades. win-win situation.[/rquote]

I will give this a try. I'm guessing the o-ring allows you to stop short of going all the way but enough to hold it in place?[/rquote]

you've got it. good luck to you and let me know how it turns out.

10. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    went out and shot two of them today. both hit low right. i did some researching on here and followed what I found. I'm a left hander and I read to move the rest towards the bow....however it was already maxed out. I moved the sites a bit and am hitting better now but every once in awhile one looks like it goes in almost sideways :mad2: I tried this spin test thing but not sure if I did it correct.

11. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    Probably should of left your arrow rest where it was. If the bow was properly tuned the rest would of been in ther correct spot. The only time you should move your rest is when your shooting through paper and the arrow flight dictates the need to move the rest. If your bow is tuned and sighted in for field points and your broadheads have a different impact spot then only adjust your sights as needed.

12. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    [rquote=1882852&tid=130865&author=goosekilla]Probably should of left your arrow rest where it was. If the bow was properly tuned the rest would of been in ther correct spot. The only time you should move your rest is when your shooting through paper and the arrow flight dictates the need to move the rest. If your bow is tuned and sighted in for field points and your broadheads have a different impact spot then only adjust your sights as needed.[/rquote]

the sight was already maxed out towards the bow so technically i did not move it, just put it back maxed out. Have adjusted the sites and its hitting where i am aiming but sometimes goes in a bit sideways with the back off to the left.

13. Dutch

Dutch Senior Member Team 19

Nov 28, 2003
    Huntsville.Mo
    Ive got a couple in my quiver but have yet ot stick something with them.