Anyone school me DVT blood clot

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by mrtrailcam1, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mrtrailcam1

mrtrailcam1 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Any have this school me. Any DVT guys
    Got home from a week at the lake and my left leg calf was hurting real bad from the car ride. Went in to my doc he looked at my leg and sent me to get my leg ultrasound then straight over to a vein clinic right away They tell me I have a clot just up from my knee in my deep vein he prescribed xarelto (thinner) and some aspirin and NSAIDs. Says come back in 21 days I must walk 30 min a day don't stay in any position more then 30 min. Move around as much as I can stand it. Added don't get cut or get in any kind of car crash or fall, So I may not get to hunt and this doc has called me at home every night since I have been in to his office,tonight at 8:00 pm on his cell phone. starting to freak me out a little I am 52 6'1 195 lbs and have no idea were or how I got the clot in the first place.
    Asked me if I feel the clot moving up my leg call 911 along with some great news about if the clot goes to my lungs or brain?... Ahhh should I be in the hospital??
    Anyone get thru this kind of deal.

2. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    DVT (Deep vein thrombosis) is not to be taken lightly. Folks who sit a lot often get it, or it can even occur on long flights, car rides, etc.

Most times the clots dissolve with the treatment he prescribed, but if they do move it is not good news. I've had a couple of friends who went through it and had a scare myself a couple years back. My best friends wife is an ER surgical Nurse supervisor, so I get some great advice/information for free:D

I'm surprised at the 21 day return, but it is good that he checks on you daily. Good luck and try not to freak out over the calls

3. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I have the same. Dealing with Blood Clots. Put me in the Hospital all through one Firearms Deer Season.

They put me on Blood Thinners. After years took me off. Then I got Blood Clots again. They gave me Shots in my Stomach to dissolve it, put me back on Blood Thinners.

I was working as a Meat Cutter, told them I couldn't be cutting. Ok all is cool. Then another Guy says they put him on Blood Thinners and he could still cut. So they said I was lying and put me back to cutting. But this was a Nonunion Shop where if a person died on the Line they would not shut it down. They didn't care.

I'll be on Blood Thinners all my Life and my Doctor says I'm a Walking Time Bomb with my Blood Clots.

Oh I have other Health problems where I can't walk very much.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is a Blood Trailer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. mrtrailcam1

mrtrailcam1 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    well I was hoping to be cheered up.:eek:

5. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I had a similar problem around 1982 resulting from driving around in a govt pickup too much. Wound up in the hospital for abt a week on blood thinners and with my leg straight up.(not a comfortable position). Stayed on the thinners for a while afterwards. I'm still running around with no after effects. Do whatever the Doc says and you should be fine.

6. Bigshow

Bigshow Member

Jun 19, 2014
    I'm a nurse and we deal with this sometimes. So the xarelto is a newer drug they use to thin your blood and will eventually dissolve the clot. They still use Warfarin (Coumadin) or shots like lovenox but now they have more options with the xarelto and you don't have to get blood tests on it. What he means by call me if you "feel the clot running up your leg" seems kinda dumb as you won't feel it traveling up your leg but the idea is that clot can travel into your lungs...pulmonary embolism or to your brain...stroke. I would be more watchful about chest pain or shortness of breath or signs of a stroke. They'll follow up and possibly repeat the venous doppler which is a fancy name for the ultrasound you got to diagnose the clot to make sure the clot is gone.

7. Bigshow

Bigshow Member

Jun 19, 2014
    They don't necessarily have to admit you to the hospital but just be aware of the symptoms and go if you have any problems. Typically your leg with the clot will be swollen and as the clot dissolves the swelling should improve.

8. bucksnguns

bucksnguns Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Kc Mo
    My wife had them they moved to her lungs. Spent several days in hospital and had to give herself daily injections as well as blood thinners for a year but the good news is all is good now.

9. mrtrailcam1

mrtrailcam1 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for posting guys, leg is swollen a bit they have me wearing this compression stocking and keeping my leg elevated when not up walking.

10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Hopefully it's a one time deal. Talk to your Dr. about your lifestyle and if you plan on taking any flights or long drives when you are sedimentary for long periods of time. One main signs can be shortness of breath. The clot can move to the lungs as mentioned and cause some issues. If the clot migrates or you have a recurrence, you could be a candidate for a filter that would require surgery (groin) . To assist filtering any further clots. Sounds like your Dr. is on top of things and hopefully this is a one time event. But be cognisant of the fact that you now have a history and talk to your Dr. about prophylactic treatment for trips envolving flights or long car rides.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. mrtrailcam1

mrtrailcam1 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Yes thank you. Doc told no car rides over a hour without stoping for 15 min of walking and I hate planes.