Anyone plant clearfield sunflowers?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by pinwheel, May 8, 2018.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I think we're going to try planting 2-3 acres this year. any advice?

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Contact Tobryan. He bought some from us years ago and tried them. I seem to remember he didn't think they were worth the added expense , but am not sure.

3. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Have you priced the chemical? I've never planted these, but I've been told the herbicide isn't the cheapest... I think the beans are used if you get a bunch of gly resistant weeds in the field. Switch chems to clean them up...

4. Mr Hannibal

Mr Hannibal Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I think the ones I got to plant are called paradovick....last year the deer ate em down pretty good.

5. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Yeah, those are the black oil type sunflowers. Not the herbicide resistant type. I've had good luck with those, as long as you don't expect a weed free field. Make a good companion plant to lablab and cowpeas as a trellis.

6. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Tried planting some for doves years ago and ya the deer ate them up when they were little.

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    This is what I got broadcasting the NWTF Pedrovik sunflowers. Got hit by deer but certainly did OK.

[​IMG]

8. Mr Hannibal

Mr Hannibal Member

Aug 2, 2017
    that's exactly what I do Gurg, cowpeas and lab lab......I plant it in my fire lines.

9. Mr Hannibal

Mr Hannibal Member

Aug 2, 2017
    that's exactly what I do Gurg, cowpeas and lab lab......I plant it in my fire lines.

Crappie likes this.