Anyone on here make their own lead sinkers?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Rebel2, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    :confused:

If so...

Could you shed some light on the process, what gear is needed etc?

I would be making egg sinkers, 3-10 ounces each. Would be making a bunch.. a few hundred to thousand or more...

:cheers:

Ps, if you are already set up to make them and want to make some coin... send me a u2u

2. Melt some lead, poor in a round mold, drill hole in round lead weight. :wave:

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    i aint drillin thousands of holes :)

4. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1868260&tid=130051&author=OzarkMtnLanyards]Melt some lead, poor in a round mold, drill hole in round lead weight. :wave:[/rquote]

Nathan you forgot something....

"your welcome" :D:cheers:

5. [rquote=1868261&tid=130051&author=Rebel]i aint drillin thousands of holes :)[/rquote]

You won't have to. Drill one, showing someone else how you are wanting it done, then sit back and watch while they drill away!:rof2:

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1868268&tid=130051&author=OzarkMtnLanyards][rquote=1868261&tid=130051&author=Rebel]i aint drillin thousands of holes :)[/rquote]

You won't have to. Drill one, showing someone else how you are wanting it done, then sit back and watch while they drill away!:rof2:[/rquote]

your hired :rof2:

7. Alright!!!I'll need to get an advance on my first years salary so that I can get a few things wrapped up before I start. 100k aught to do it!

8. I was talking to a guy I work with that fishes a LOT. He was telling me that they make molds for egg weights, but he hasn't come across any in a while. I'm sure the molds are out there somewhere.

9. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=69

you can find molds here but at the size of weights your talking your only going to be able to pour 2-3 at a time

it will take along time to make 1000 weights at that rate........what do you do eat lead weights like they are m&ms while your setting in the blind? 1000 8 oz weights is like 500 lbs thats alot of weights!

10. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    hey im hungry :)

11. [rquote=1868285&tid=130051&author=OzarkMtnLanyards]Alright!!!I'll need to get an advance on my first years salary so that I can get a few things wrapped up before I start. 100k aught to do it![/rquote]

I will do it cheaper for you Rebel

Let's say $99,000 :scared:

:cheers:

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    lol let me know when the bidding war is under .20 cents per weight :)

13. Bajacoop

Bajacoop Senior Member

Apr 6, 2009
    SouthEast Missouri
    You will need a mold, I prefer the do it molds.
    You will need a way to melt the lead, for the volume you are talking you will prolly want a cast iron kettle on a fish cooker so you can melt and clean your lead, and then a good heavy ladle to pour with. Of course then you need the lead, unless you have a good source for used scrap lead this can be tricky and expensive. I pour a bunch of weghts every year. u2u if you have a question I can help ya with.

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  15. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Reb,

Check Roger's. They used to carry the molds. I'd like to do my own one of these days when I get some free time.

16. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
  17. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    I make the flat strap wieghts for decoys and weights for fishing but I have not seen any egg sinker molds that big.

18. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    I have an electric bottom spout lead pot and something shy of a hundred pounds of scrap lead I could probably be convinced to part with. Just don't have the space now for all this stuff I own now that I got a wife and a kid. U2U me if you're interested, and I'll swing by my parent's house and get the details on the setup I got and give you a good price on everything. I'll give you a real honest to God bargain if you come pick it up. You can pick up a mould on Ebay or any of a thousand different places online.

19. DWD

DWD New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Janns Netcraft prolly has the mold yer lookin for, they have a lot of em ya won't find too many other places, good CS too :wave:

20. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Wait wait....Why drill? I am confused here (granted that don't take much) but it would seem to me that you could just stick a wire in the center of the mold and make the hole when you pull it out...?