Anyone hunting the KC Parks Managed hunts

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by bowhunter8, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    I got drawn in on the Riverfront park hunt.. Pretty excited. Just checking to see who else will be doing these. I will be doing my first hunts with my new tree saddle.

2. easton400

easton400 Senior Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Rosendale Mo
    I got picked for Hodge park and cant wait! God luck to you!

3. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

MoBowman and I (among 33 others) got picked for Swope. Just to get in the mood, I'm cruising the park in a low-rider with a 45 Colt every night (I'm talking malt liquor here).:rof2:
    Seriously, it's a real treat. I live close enough to scout it... as though scouting's gonna mean squat come Nov. 8th!

4. UrbanHunter

I'd like to see that tree saddle in use, too, bowhunter8. I can't come to grips with how the rope won't impede your draw.
    Riverfront is a GREAT area. Good luck.

5. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    well I live within 2 miles of Hodge... I went out on the North end to practice with the saddle and target shoot, I then sat in the saddle til dark so I could practice once or twice setting up in the dark. I did my thing a few times and went to my truck (Parked by the baseball diamonds) and I started it up, headlights came on, and all I saw was millions of eyes looking at me. Counted 43 deer, 10 bucks the rest does and fawns. Hodge is LOADED. I hope to have the same luck in Riverfront. I was tired of not getting drawn at hodge so I went the Riverfront route.

I have two saddles. One small, one large.. If you want we can meet at Hodge and I can let you set up in it and shoot some. PM me if you want and I will gladly help you.

6. UrbanHunter

Just watched a video on them (again). I can't see that they offer anything our work saddles don't. As long as you have a place to anchor your feet, I guess you could shoot right. I know tree saddles are cheaper!:eek::
    I've got one with a bos'n's chair bottom, for those long sits (or lazy tree-trimmers). Also, a sliding D-ring in front allows you to rotate out away from the tree. I don't see any "hunting" saddles that have anything but a fixed attachment point on the saddle.

7. Droptyne

Droptyne New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I have hunted the Tiffany Park the last 3 years. Make sure you hunt hard the first week. It is amazing how the deer disappear after they feel that initial pressure.

8. DeereMan

DeereMan Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Lee's Summit, MO
    How does a guy sign up for these hunts? I know I'm to late this year but theres always next year.

9. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    MDC website, go to the KC region and look for info for the KC Parks hunt. Usually post up around the 3rd week of August and signup goes till Sept 15. Most cases it is a mail in application.

You must have a BOWHUNTER EDUCATION CERTIFICATE to be able to get drawn.

10. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    Also preference is given to Kansas City, MO residents. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) is that KCMO residents are first picked, and if there are spots available then non KCMO residents begin getting drawn. That all being said I am a KCMO resident and tried for 2 years and never got drawn in at Hodge Park, but landed Riverfront this year.

11. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    OK.... 100 posts... yea

12. BMoeller

BMoeller Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I've been in the Tiffany hunt since they started and the deer do feel the pressure after a couple days. Also don't think these deer are stupid park deer, they do LOOK UP! especially since all the leaves will mostly be gone.

Good Luck!!!!!

13. easton400

easton400 Senior Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Rosendale Mo
    Cant wait for Nov.8 got my stand hung today and buck sign eveywhere!

14. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Hodge Park is the toughest hunt to get drawn in.......I am a non resident but will be hunting , so there is hope for those that don't live in the city limits. :D

15. UrbanHunter

Yeah, MoBowman, but your a stone-cold killer, so they GOTSA let you in!:hysterical::hysterical:

16. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    :peepwall: Shhhhhhhhhh. :whistle:

17. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Is it still a doe first then buck or is the Swope Park hunt different?

Or is it just one deer?

18. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    There is no earn a buck, just shoot deer :D They do encourage taking mature doe's. We not only use our archery tags, but we will also be useing our Firearms tags during the Firearms season :whistle: So how many bucks is there potential for taking during this hunt? :peepwall:

BTW, just received my order on my Kevlar Camos just for this hunt. :hysterical::rof2::whistle:

19. UrbanHunter

Well, after I kill about 1/2 a dozen, I figgered I'd email the hunt manager and ask if I should slow down....
    Nah, I'm lying. I'll email him after three.:rof2: