Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience hunting the missouri river west of St. Louis? I'd love to learn more about that area....

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
tried several times, not much there. one day, we saw thousands of high flyers, headin where, i dunno...flyin east down the river. other couple times.....nothin:whiteflag:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
No experience there, but late season a sand bar on a river is a gold mine. When everything else is frozen they will roost on the river and sandbars.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
No experience there, but late season a sand bar on a river is a gold mine. When everything else is frozen they will roost on the river and sandbars.
true dat, rbh. only problem is....you need a coast guard ice cutter to navigate da river, about now....:eek:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Originally posted by knockemdeadd
tried several times, not much there. one day, we saw thousands of high flyers, headin where, i dunno...flyin east down the river. other couple times.....nothin:whiteflag:
Good thing We were in good company & enjoyed the scenery !! It was an adventure to say the least !! I'd do it again ifin the river wasn't so low that We'd never get out of the creek !!
Cat

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Originally posted by catmech_99
Good thing We were in good company & enjoyed the scenery !! It was an adventure to say the least !! I'd do it again ifin the river wasn't so low that We'd never get out of the creek !!
Cat
SURE glad i had my human trolling motor along that day !!;):wave:

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
around here the ice is bad fo sure big chunkins

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Originally posted by catmech_99
Cat
SURE glad i had my human trolling motor along that day !!;):wave:
I'm guessing all those years navigating the riffles in the Meramec & Bourbeuse rivers came in handy !! When The boat goes BAM & stops it's time to get out the paddle & work around those rocks.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i think mm does.:rof2:

·
13,315 Posts
The Missouri is a swift river and there is no need to try to canoe that area if you are not familar with the area. Wait till summer and I will run you up and down the area to show you what I know and so you can see the river in summer temps..right now is no time to go surveying for hunting spots...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, SK! But no canoe, I do have a boat, just titled/registered today. Finally found a trailer for it. So I have some work to make it all come together.

I can hunt some property on the MO river, but we never see much activity, so I was curious if that was the norm. I have never hunted real late or early there though....have access to a large sandbar, walking/4-wheeler in over a levee.

I would like to do the MO360 canoe trip some year when I can take the week off of work though!

·
Registered
609 Posts
never hunted the river but would like to..saw flocks following river low last night then they went and fed in the bottoms across the river:stickfight:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Originally posted by hoyt7
never hunted the river but would like to..saw flocks following river low last night then they went and fed in the bottoms across the river:stickfight:
Hoyt7,
We'll have to hook up next year & see if We can geter-dun !! Knockemdeadd & I have tried it a few times & probably will again.
Cat

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hunted the river this weekend. Killed 10 ducks and 4 geese. LOTS OF GEESE roosting on the river more ice than i have seen in 4 years!!!!!!! The river is very hit or miss normally isnt worth a hoot till this time of year when everything is froze up. You can be there on a saturday and see thousands of ducks high in the sky flying everywhere then be there sunday and not see anything!!!!!

[file]44979[/file]

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
Willie, you come in from the bank or what, even as nuts as I am I stay off the river when the ice flows start :rules:

I love hunting the river, when the birds are there it cannot be beat, when the birds aren't you and sit and twittle your thumbs :shrug:

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Originally posted by i_willie12
Hunted the river this weekend. Killed 10 ducks and 4 geese. LOTS OF GEESE roosting on the river more ice than i have seen in 4 years!!!!!!! The river is very hit or miss normally isnt worth a hoot till this time of year when everything is froze up. You can be there on a saturday and see thousands of ducks high in the sky flying everywhere then be there sunday and not see anything!!!!!
this picture SCARES me !!!:eek: sorry, I wanna LIVE !!! greenhead needs his money source around for awhile longer !!!:stickfight:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thats our walk in spot!! It was alot of tuff ice could only shot about 25 yards or the dog wouldnt be able to get them. But we were shooting them at 10 yards they wanted open water BAD!!!! Had a group of 15 mallards come in and we knocked down 5. It was tuff on me and the pup had to run down the ice shelf and drag him up on it and line him up and send him after the next one, then run down river 30 more yards and do it all over again. Tuff hunting but good :2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts