anyone have a minnow trap they wanna get rid of?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Jeremy, May 21, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    the creek that runs through the property is chock full of hundreds of thousands of minnows. i cant really use a throw nest to get em because theres too many trees nearby. with all that said, i'm lookin for a minnow trap, or somewhere that sells em as i plan on takin as many of these minnows up to our lake for food for our bigger fish.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Cabelas sells them for sure.

Pretty easily made though. Want me to dig up some plans for you?

I know where there's a great tutorial on a certain site, but you have to be a member to view it. :boohoo:

Parker

3. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    if i can make one, even better.:cheers: because i actually need a couple of em.

4. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: Cool man. I'll do some digging.

Parker

5. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Here's the basic idea. You'll just want to use a smaller mesh and smaller openings than this.

You can also make one in the shape of a tube. Most commercial ones are this way. I'll see if I can find some pics. If not, I've got a bunch of them in the garage I can take pics of later.

Dog food.....dry or wet.....makes good bait, as does bread or biscuits.

Parker

[file]57996[/file]

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i was kinda lookin for the tube lookin ones....i guess i could just do a google images search. i shoulda thought of that.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    or like this:claphands:

[​IMG]

9. yankee

yankee Senior Member

ya know jeremy up here on lake huron we use a minnow siene, this thing looks like a 15' long net, takes 2 guys, the bottom of it is weighed down and it has 2" poles at each end, we wade out as deep as we can spread out the distance of the net with , and walk it back towards shore keeping the poles on bottom of the lake, on a good run we will get 60 to 70 minnows, in about an hour of this we have minnows for the weekend

10. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Jeremy,

The picture you've got there is the kind I've built. Super easy to do. Just gotta find the right material to use for the kinda bait you're wanting to catch.

Use small zip-ties to attach everything. They're MUCH, MUCH faster than crimping the wire and the likes.

Parker

11. ducks1

ducks1 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    flo.missouri
    use cheese puffs they work great on minnows and geese

12. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

make one... cut the top out of a 2 liter soda bottle.... place it in the lid part of a mason jar... screw the lid on (just the ring)... crush 3 or so saltine crackers up and put in the jar...

find where they are in a riffle... point the jat down stream and wait...
    guarenteed to work...

13. catmech_99

catmech_99 New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    New Haven,MO
    Jeremy,
    Come borrow My siene.
    Cat

14. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    If you can find one, an umbrella net is a great way to catch minnows.

15. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    or just go buy some dang minnows:shrug:

16. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1270811&tid=88981&author=Parker]Here's the basic idea. You'll just want to use a smaller mesh and smaller openings than this.

You can also make one in the shape of a tube. Most commercial ones are this way. I'll see if I can find some pics. If not, I've got a bunch of them in the garage I can take pics of later.

Parker[/rquote]

Parker these are not Legal I called Jefferson City on them,they said they weren't because the slits are too long.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin won't tell.

17. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    J-sounds like you have a creek full of slicks. They all lay in formation faceing upstream if undesturbed. If so you can sein the very easily by yourself if the creek is small.

18. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Are you sure you want to put rough fish in your pond??? you may wish you had not done this when the rough fish take over the pond...

19. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    they wont be taking over with all the bass and bluegill in there...i garauntee that. theres so many bass you catch one with every cast..no matter where you stand. i could put 1000 minnows in there and theyde be gone before ya knew it. but the majority of the minnows are perch, and sunfish

20. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1270976&tid=88981&author=oneshot 1][rquote=1270811&tid=88981&author=Parker]Here's the basic idea. You'll just want to use a smaller mesh and smaller openings than this.

Parker[/rquote]

Parker these are not Legal I called Jefferson City on them,they said they weren't because the slits are too long.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin won't tell.[/rquote]

Yep, got to have smaller openings.

I use the larger ones in private ponds. No bait trap size rules in private ponds.

Parker