Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures of 3 mountain loins eating a deer carcass and saying it was taking in around Edina MO?

·
Registered
32,193 Posts
I think the pictures have been posted on here before. I don't think anyone has verified it though.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
They were verified. South Dakota cats & they've been posted several times here & on other sites I frequent.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
keithk..... yes as stated above the pics were from another state..... the MDC is working hard to dispel this rumor.... Thanks for asking before you posted. :2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
No, But I hve seen it about 1000 times on here:drunk:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know my neighbor in NEMO has seen 2 solid sightings of mountain lions. MDC just wants to sweep it under the rug!

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Originally posted by CAMO
I know my neighbor in NEMO has seen 2 solid sightings of mountain lions. MDC just wants to sweep it under the rug!
Would love to see the :kewlpics: or even track imprints, till then:bored:

MDC takes cat sightings very serious. If he had serious proof, they'd be knockin on his door.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Hate to tell you CAMO, but your wrong. MDC will investigate and confirm anything that there is true proof. All animals leave sign, tracks, scent, images on film, and only a handful out of thousands of reports have been confirmed. So yes, the MDC does take everything serious and doesn't sweep it under the rug. They're not some covert, black ops organization.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Originally posted by CAMO
I think you'll find that the MDC readily admits that there are some cougars living here, they just don't believe there is a solid breeding population. Mostly what is seen and found is solitary young males seeking out new territories.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Seems like everybody I know has seen one, except for me & I've been lookin for one for 30 years

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, SD cats.... A guy I know said that is where they were sighted.

And yes, MDC does investigate all sightings, but I don't think they come true about the ones that are confirmed.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
They have to tell the truth cause all their work is public record on items like this. The liabilities would be too great to keep truth like this from the public. They're not a national defense department or CIA.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I wish everyone would go to their local office and get the pamphlet that the MDC created to show the confirmed sightings so far and to explain what it takes to actually confirm a sighting.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Call and ask someone at the dept who is the chief biologist for that sub ject. I think you'll find the people at the MDC very helpful. After all, they're just people like you and me doing a job.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Originally posted by Clippers
I wish everyone would go to their local office and get the pamphlet that the MDC created to show the confirmed sightings so far and to explain what it takes to actually confirm a sighting.
I believe there has be a photo that can be verified as to the animal and location, or a found track, or DNA evidence etc. It has to be something credible. Just saying you say one won't cut it. If you saw one, there will be at least tracks somewhere.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Try the MDC website where there is a section with articles about mountain lions in Missouri. I typed "mountain lion" in the search feature there and got ten hits.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I did find it.
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mammals/mlion/sightings.htm

I did find this on there site...

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mammals/mlion/encounter.htm

When you walk or hike in potential mountain lion country, GO IN GROUPS and MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE to reduce your chances of surprising a lion. A sturdy walking stick can be used to ward off a lion. Make sure children are close and within sight at all times. Talk with children about lions and teach them what to do if they see one.

"walk or hike in potential mountain lion country"??

Originally posted by MOGC
Try the MDC website where there is a section with articles about mountain lions in Missouri. I typed "mountain lion" in the search feature there and got ten hits.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Wonder what the stats are of cat attacks on adult people? I'd be willing to bet it's very low, even in cat country.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts