Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Jermey......I actually have to agree with you for once. Very, very poor again this year IMO in Gasco. Yet, one of the regulars on here and the other website is apparently knocking em dead on their 440. I don't doubt it in the least because he's got the pictures to back it up but I have no earthly idea how. I am pretty dang familiar with that general area and there is alot of habitat as good as their's (I ain't putting down his place at all, I think it is dang nice from what I know of it. I'm just saying alot of farms both neighboring his and in that general vicinity have as good of habitat and have as much improvement done as they do) and alot of pretty dang good hunters in that area and nobody is seeing or killing anything to speak of. I'm just afraid the deer, like the turkeys, have become pretty dang spotty. One guy may have tons for whatever the reason during a given year but they are few and far apart in the overall area.

I don't know, I've spent a total of 6 full days in the stand (less may a 30 minute lunch and bathroom break) and another afternoon and have seen 1 legal buck and 1 that might have been legal and only 2 or 3 does......... Just don't see how that is possible when they have rung up 5-6 good ones during rifle season and another 3 or so during the youth hunt and archery. I'm sure that he has also seen 70-80 turkeys during the season........ I've seen 0.

My point is I think the game in MO has become VERY spotty on any given year and it used to not be like that. Either an area was good or bad but it was consistent throughout, now it seems like one farm is good and 50 farms are bad. I does really make you question if it is really worth putting forth all the dang time and money for habitat improvement when I honestly am starting to think that it is somewhat "luck of the draw" if you are really going to have any game to speak of on your place since there is so little game out there to go around anymore.

It slowed in Nov. where I hunted for sure! I did however have an opportunity to hunt a good property that I usually hunt every year this weekend, and they were everywhere as usual.

IMO where I hunt the acorns fell way early due to the cool rainy Oct., and they just weren`t spending the time in the timber that they usually do.

ymurf

Steeleville is that bad? I hunted Washington Co, the 1st five days, and it was tough, I went to crawford, this weekend, and I tagged out yesterday, and my son took a doe, but I could`ve took several does had I not been tagged out. Actually around Leasburg, but I sure didn`t hear the shots that normally come from the Huzza Valley CA, that generally sounds like a war zone across the river from us. I bet I heard around 50, when normally you can hear 500 on weekend.

[rquote=1481514&tid=103578&author=bowrookie]ymurf

Steeleville is that bad? I hunted Washington Co, the 1st five days, and it was tough, I went to crawford, this weekend, and I tagged out yesterday, and my son took a doe, but I could`ve took several does had I not been tagged out. Actually around Leasburg, but I sure didn`t hear the shots that normally come from the Huzza Valley CA, that generally sounds like a war zone across the river from us. I bet I heard around 50, when normally you can hear 500 on weekend.[/rquote]
Been a tough year around here.I talked to several people and sounds like its real spotty for deer.The farm I hunt I usually see 5-10 opening weekend and maby 1-2 a day after that and this year I only seen one doe so far and Not one rub to be found.

Hate to rain on your parade but here in Johnson County its the best I've ever seen in 17 years hunting, I got 2 turkey and 3 doe with bow, then my biggest buck 143" with rifle, 2 of my other buddy's also shot thier biggest bucks ever. I saw a ton of rutting activity its just been an unbelievable year. Kinda funny how things are so different when were soooo close

well i was talking to guys who have been running corn headers and they have been seeing plenty around here:D

I have seen deer every outing I have been on this year. Not as many as years past but still seeing them none the less. Have only seen one "respectable" buck this year bow hunting and he was in a hurry. A bunch of fork horns and spikes and does.

[rquote=1484707&tid=103578&author=pinwheel]I've seen deer nearly everytime out. I'm just being picky. One almost made the grade the other night.[/rquote] you sound like the daughter:D she is getting way to picky.the other morning i see this great big buck coming to the corn fifty yards away.i tell her to shoot it she scopes it and says its brow tines are a little weak.i told her thats it she is sitting in her own stand next time because i would be dragging that deer out:mad2:almost went ahead and shot it myself but then all i would have heard was dad shot my deer:hysterical:

[rquote=1484719&tid=103578&author=coyotehunter][rquote=1484707&tid=103578&author=pinwheel]I've seen deer nearly everytime out. I'm just being picky. One almost made the grade the other night.[/rquote] you sound like the daughter:D she is getting way to picky.the other morning i see this great big buck coming to the corn fifty yards away.i tell her to shoot it she scopes it and says its brow tines are a little weak.i told her thats it she is sitting in her own stand next time because i would be dragging that deer out:mad2:almost went ahead and shot it myself but then all i would have heard was dad shot my deer:hysterical:[/rquote]

Heck, I doubt she'd have shot the one I shot with my bow. I'm not that picky.:rof2:

It's been a little slower than normal at the FIL's. I chalk most of that up to weather. Still, I've seen deer every time out. I know they are around, just not moving much. I'm hoping that the late ML season will be cold and snowy so the big boys are on the food.

I don't think it's lack of deer, just something really messed up their patterns where I'm at. Just the Wed and Thur before rifle season I was covered in deer. Opening day? Nothing but a button. I think I've only seen 6 deer all rifle season, I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe this upcoming cold snap will bring them back to pattern.:boohoo:

I had a heck of a year, saw deer every hunt, passed on a 140" 10pt that the neighbor shot, kilt a big mature buck, saw a mature 6 pt....wife kilt her first deer ever. I can't wait to get back in the bowstand this next weekend!!!! I got NO complaints about my season or deer herd!!!:cheers::wave:

If you do a search you will find this exact same thread posted every year around this time. That is why it is called hunting. Every year there are those who see deer and those who don't. On our little 40 acres of heaven in Gasconade Cty there have been years when we had 3-4 down opening weekend and years when not one deer was even spotted. This year only saw 2 deer, but one was the biggest buck ever killed on the place so I can't complain.

Good luck during ML season. :cheers:

[rquote=1484757&tid=103578&author=90acres]I don't think it's lack of deer, just something really messed up their patterns where I'm at. Just the Wed and Thur before rifle season I was covered in deer. Opening day? Nothing but a button. I think I've only seen 6 deer all rifle season, I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe this upcoming cold snap will bring them back to pattern.:boohoo:[/rquote]

+1 to every word.:mad2:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.