Anyone else having a tough time?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by hun10, Nov 10, 2010.

1. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Just seeing deer! Because of my job and family I can only hunt weekends but still. I have hunted every weekend since the 3rd week of the season and can count on one hand how many deer I have seen. Havn't seen a doe in range and only seen 1 legal buck. I know they are there, I have several scrapes on the ground by my stand but don't know if they are checking them during the middle of the day or at night. Thinking of a mid-day sit just to see. Just wondering if anyone else is having same issues as me.:pop:

2. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    I'm having a tough time just getting out into the woods. I haven't even bought bow tags yet.

:whinging:

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Last few hunts before this morning were slow for me. I just keep moving from area to area till I find the deer again. I know not everyone has that luxury.

4. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1889342&tid=131614&author=pinwheel]Last few hunts before this morning were slow for me. I just keep moving from area to area till I find the deer again. I know not everyone has that luxury.

[/rquote]

I would love to be able to do that. I hunt small tracts and have 2 places in 2 separate towns. I rotate between the two based on wind direction but still haven't seen deer hardly at all. Im not whining but just talkin. I hunt 3-4 counties a year and just my observation. My inlaws are in Osage County and aren't really seeing anything either. Wonder what's going on? Warm weather?????:shrug:

5. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    have cameras on several BIG scrapes and have some very impressive pics , most of the really nice bucks are working them from 1 to 3 in the morning . Atleast round here

6. stlwolf

stlwolf New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Warren County
    It has been tougher...all of my cam pics over scrapes have been around 10:00pm or 4:00 am. I am seeing deer but not as many as I usually do. I think they are holding up more in the timber with the acorns so plentiful. The warm weather keeps them bedded alot more also.

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

This past weekend I saw 21 on Saturday then the winds picked up and I saw 6 on Sunday and then killed the only deer I saw Monday afternoon at 3:45. I think and all-day sit is warranted at this point in the season. Take a sick day if you have too hun10.

8. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1889353&tid=131614&author=stlwolf]It has been tougher...all of my cam pics over scrapes have been around 10:00pm or 4:00 am. I am seeing deer but not as many as I usually do. I think they are holding up more in the timber with the acorns so plentiful. The warm weather keeps them bedded alot more also.[/rquote]

That is what I have been told too, but I hunt in timber and still not seeing much. I get the occasional forky every few days but that is about it. Haven't seen any indication in deer activity that its the rut (except for scrapes and rubs) but not in how the deer are acting. No noses on the ground, etc. Its got me stumped. Next weekend is supposed to be cooler so we shall see. I wanting a couple days where its cold, cloudy, misty and just downright miserable. We haven't had any of those kinds of days yet and those are great deer days. :pop:

9. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Got this one off a card pull yesterday 3;30 am

[file]147310[/file]

10. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1889356&tid=131614&author=Hayzer]This past weekend I saw 21 on Saturday then the winds picked up and I saw 6 on Sunday and then killed the only deer I saw Monday afternoon at 3:45. I think and all-day sit is warranted at this point in the season. Take a sick day if you have too hun10.[/rquote]

I did that yesterday and only saw 1 doe late. That is it brotha. Hard to sit for long periods when you just aren't seeing anything.

11. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1889374&tid=131614&author=Sully]Got this one off a card pull yesterday 3;30 am

[/rquote]

Nice pic!:cheers::wave:

12. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I understand hun10. It's soon going to pick up for you I know it.:cheers:

13. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    nother early morning buck checking and working scrap

[file]147311[/file]

14. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    [rquote=1889376&tid=131614&author=hun10][rquote=1889374&tid=131614&author=Sully]Got this one off a card pull yesterday 3;30 am

[/rquote]

Nice pic!:cheers::wave:[/rquote]

yes they are and are making inpressive scraps but working them in the middle of the night

15. Jethro

Jethro New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Gerald, Mo
    I have been having the same problem where I hunt. I haven't even seen any signs and am not getting as many pictures on my camera as last year. I wish I would have known that things where going to be this tough I would have saved some vacation time for the late season hunt :whinging:

16. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have 4 tracts of land to hunt, one is cut beans surrounded by a creek, one has alfalfa & oak ridge, one is cut corn and one is a wooded draw & CRP. You'd think I've got it made in the shade... I've not seen more than 7 deer in one sit, seen one shooter from stand and had one miss on a doe. :wave:
    We're not seeing much rut activity at all around here, the scrapes have gone dormant for the most part. It's not coming easy this year and I've had more time on stand than I have in years. :shrug:

17. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    nice pics, there are on their feet during the daylight we just have tpo find them.

18. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I am not seeing near as many deer in my plots since the Acorns started dropping ! With the massive acorn crop we have this year my deer are not moving as much as they usually do

19. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    [rquote=1889390&tid=131614&author=20 feet high]nice pics, there are on their feet during the daylight we just have tpo find them.[/rquote]

Absolutely !!!!

20. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Well, IMHO, and for whatever that's worth....

With the warmer temps, they don't move as much, even when the rut is on. So, unless you have a hot doe in your vicinity.... You prolly won't see much...

I read somewhere one time, that anytime the temp is about the normal average, expect deer activity to decrease. It'd be like you wearing your winter coat on a 77 degree day, so you wouldn't want to run around any more than you hafta....

But, a hot doe, and it all changes... I think, they are probably doing most of their "cruising" after it cools off in the evening right now. And, don't forget, orange army hitting the woods will keep em moving too....

:shrug: