Anyone buy a new chainsaw and trimmer for brush cutting recently?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deerdown, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Boone11

Boone11 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    central mo
    Both are sound choices, you won't be disapointed.

deerdown likes this.

2. deerdown

deerdown John 3:15

Jul 5, 2009
    That's really funny - because what I didn't mention, is that's the saw I came home with on Friday. After reading some of the reviews, taking into consideration that it didn't come with a warranty, or at least a consistent story about the warranty, I took it back Saturday and grabbed the 241.....

I also already have an Echo cs300 which is very similar to the 193T so I figured I didn't need 2 top handles in the same size.

That Echo is the saw I grab 8 out of 10 times around the farm, but again, most of what I'm doing is brush, small tree removal. It's so versatile.

But - I'm with you - small top handles are great to have.

3. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    The 241 looks like a cool little saw. Does it run 3/8 low pro chain or .325?

4. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I was trying to decide between the 241 and the 193. I ended up getting the rear handle 193 and have been very happy with it. I went with the 3/8" low profile chain and have been very happy with it. I still want the 241 but have plenty of other saws to get me by for now. I love my fimco utv sprayer. A nice addition is having the boom in addition to the boomless option. On the utv sprayer they're pretty easy to change out. Good luck.

5. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Yeah, I have a ms210c as well. Maybe didn't step up much with the 241, but it's new and hopefully will be all I need for years to come.
    What does the boom offer the boomless doesn't for you? Less overspray, ? Better spray control?

6. CRE10

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    What are you mounting the sprayer on? I have a 60 gallon boom sprayer on 3 point and it's nice because I can run it real close to the ground if it's windy. I also have a 60 gallon boomless I use in my Kubota utv bed. It sits up higher so you have to wait for it to be calm or it drifts too much.

7. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Well,I have options in that regard, I have the option to use a tractor 3pt by itself, I have a 3pt carryall I could mount it to as well, but, mostly, I expect to put it in my Polaris ranger ,,,,,..

I'm thinking if it's windy, and I only am working on the home farm, I can put it in the carryall and run the boomless lower to the ground. Otherwise, I'll have to wait if it's windy, as I don't have good ways to transport a tractor at this time, just the utv.

8. CRE10

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    For me I could remove my tailgate and lower the height of the boomless, but I'd rather be more secure with tailgate on and wait for calmer conditions or just use the tractor three point sprayer and spray low.

Depending on where your wires are and the switch you may want the Fimco remote control. Since I have a cab it's very convenient to turn the sprayer/seeder off and on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 4:11 PM
  9. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    The new Fimco UTV sprayer has bars in the back to allow you raise and lower the spray heads. I use the boomless sprayer on my trails and larger fields if the conditions are correct. I use the boom sprayer on my yard (keeps the chemical from getting on smaller trees, shrubs, and from drifting as bad) and also on larger fields when using certain chemicals when concerned more about drift. I could have probably gotten away with just the boomless but it is nice to have options. Here is the link to the one I have: http://www.fimcoindustries.com/UTV-Sprayers.html I have the 65 boomless and added on the boom sprayer when needed. You can leave both on the sprayer and switch out the hose but I just replace each one when needed.

10. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  11. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I borowed one like that before i bought mine. Orscheln will price match to other stores so look around and you might be able to save a little money.

12. CRE10

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    I have the one he linked. I'm happy with it. I like that it has metal to sit on to give it some structure.

On yours you linked when you take it out to store do you take the L brackets off or just sit the whole thing on its back? Are they easy to remove? Mine will extend out and lower, but then I'd have to remove my tailgate and then I'd have to remove bolts that hold booms to store to sit it flat. To me I'd rather just run them high in calm conditions rather than have to undo bolts and tailgate etc all the time.

13. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I set the whole thing up on two saw horses. One of the arms is easy to remove, the other one was slightly bent or just a little off when I bought it. So it's just as easy to leave it elevated on saw horses.

14. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Rural king has a great country way 60 gallon 12' boom sprayer for utvs. The booms raise and lower easily and they swing out with two pins so you can open and close the tailgate.

15. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks, but no Rural King's in my area...I'll look around when I'm at the store. not set on the one I picked out, but I know they have them in stock.