Anyone buy a new chainsaw and trimmer for brush cutting recently?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deerdown, Jan 29, 2018.

1. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some guys have all the fun toys.

2. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    It's perfect for that. I've been thinking of getting another saw that goes on an excavator to clear fence lines and field edges. Being a vertical lift path I can't get real far away from limbs with the loader even when I flip saw to cut vertically so an excavator saw would be great.

tcwild likes this.

3. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    get this blower trimmer combo, we (Lowe's) sell these and last year they upgraded the blower. Our store sold over 120 of them at $99. The blower itself sells for that on the worxx web site.
    https://www.worx.com/blowers-mulche...ax-cordless-trimmer-and-blower-combo-kit.html

We have had landscapers go to battery trimmers from gas ones. One guy tried the 80volt Kobalt, also sell Dewalt and Greenworks, came back two weeks later and bought 5 more. Mounted the chargers on the trailer with his power inverter. FYI Greenworks makes Kobalt, no gas, no clogged carbs, rotting gas lines, forgetting to mix oil with gas, grabbing the wrong gas can.. etc..for home use not sure why anyone would go with gas anymore

4. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    For my very light and sporadic use at home, I just bought an electric (corded) chainsaw. It cuts really well for what one would expect it's use to be. At the farm, Stihl gas, but it stays there and sometimes I need to do a small job spur of the moment.

My issue with the battery tools is the longevity of the batteries, and not so much a single battery, but more long term in the ability to purchase future batteries because most companies have changed the battery interface over time. I have thrown many otherwise good tools away because I either could not buy replacement batteries, or it did not make $ sense to do so compared to purchasing a complete replacement tool set.

BC-Buck, DCSarchette and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  5. Dalton

Dalton Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Warren County
    Get a Husky 550xp. They are the same size as the stihl 261. I did TSI professionally for 7 years. We ran 8-12 tanks a day through them, year round! The stihl is a good saw but the husky has it beat on balance and fuel consumption. Also, the stihl will go through more bar oil because the pump runs even when idling.

6. deerdown

deerdown John 3:15

Jul 5, 2009
    That brings up a very good point - for my use - I probably won't run 10-20 tanks a year through mine year over year. This year, I'll do some tsi, do crp maintenance, and it'll sit. It's not something I'll use even every month, so fuel consumption, bar oil isn't such a concern. Easy starting, working when I need it to work, did I mention easy starting?
    I may be on video somewhere, when I had to throw a few saws into the field when we couldn't agree on starting procedures....:whiteflag:

7. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Tru-Fuel can be your best friend 92-93 octane and no ethanol and comes with Stabil already in it..

8. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks for the tip, never heard of it before.

9. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I've heard Aviation fuel works good. No ethanol. Quite a bit cheaper too.

10. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    There is a list of stations that sell fuel without ethanol or alcohol in the gas. I know there are only two around me that do. A lot of them are by rivers because people don't like regular gas in their motors it eats them up.

CRE10 likes this.
  11. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Are most on here running regular unleaded in their saws?

12. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Premium or E free. Dump gas and run it dry if it will sit a long time.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  13. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Below are a couple of examples of what the brush blade on my Echo looks like. I think these are both pretty universal. It eats small brush up to 1" very well and has been very durable. I've trimmed thicker limbs but they take a while, so a chainsaw would have worked better on the 2" limbs and up. stihl 3 star brush blade.jpg s-l64.jpg
    I used it to help clear brush along the path and shooting lanes at Seth's the last time we had the Central MO bow shoot for MDS.

14. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    I like echo for the money and have had good luck with a trimmer and blower so far. I'd definitely run non-ethanol gas whichever way you go.

15. jasonmcc1974

jasonmcc1974 New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Can anyone tell me the difference between a stihl fs 111
    Fs 111 r
    Fs 111 rx
    I bought today a fs 111rx.i bought it mainly so i could put a blade on it to cut brush with a blade.so I get it home and the manual doesn't say this one can use a brush blade or the stihl circular cutting one.online the 111r manual says you can!I put the stihl circle blade on and it was tight. Cranked it up and started using it and the head was trying to spin! What the crap.did it couple more time till the head pushed it way down until it quit spinning from the shaft.

16. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
  17. RRMan

RRMan Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    I bought the 131 last year and never had to buy a brush kit. The only tool you need to change the head should come with the trimmer

18. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I had to buy the brush kit also, it was a larger shield, a washer, nut, and kickback protection .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  19. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    R has a solid driveshaft, and RX has a cable-that's why they tell you not to use a blade. If the cable fails, you can just replace it with the solid shaft.

20. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Just to close out the thread - I ended up buying Stihl fs 131, with brush kit, and brush blade (the circular kind).

I also ended up with a Stihl MS 241C w/16" bar. Still a Pro saw, just a little lighter than a 261, and of course less cc, but should be plenty for what I need.. Picked up an extra Pico Duro chain (boy, those aren't cheap) for the roadside maint I need to do (tree trunks cut to ground level). I would have looked hard at the Echo 346xp but there aren't a lot of dealers in my hometown, and none near the farms, while Stihl has dealers in both areas.

6' KK tiller forward rotation is on order, and am picking up the Fimco 60 gallon skid sprayer on the way to the farm next week.

That should cover the major expenditures needed for this year. Appreciate the input that guided me on the purchases.

CRE10 and Wings Fan 19 like this.