Anyone buy a new chainsaw and trimmer for brush cutting recently?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by DPx2, Jan 29, 2018.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I had a Big Wheel Brush Cutter with a Buzz Saw Blade. Cut a lot of Brush, didn't cut the stobs down low enough but if you use a Chainsaw you won't either or you will be replacing Chain often.

This was in heavy Timber and I was running Goats, so I burnt it off every year and had very good New Growth the kind that will bring Deer in.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin would just run Goats and Burn.

2. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I bought the 261 the difference in price was a couple hundred dollars but over 20 years it's really not that big of a deal that's how long my last saw lasted. The 261 is 2 lb lighter and is less cc but runs higher rpm and will actually cut faster. The 291 was a present I wasn't going to complain for free from my FIL

I recommend pro grade also for the difference in cost it's not worth buying a homeowner saw. I have a stihl top handle and a couple 170 and 180 but I need a good pole saw. Buy once cry

BC-Buck likes this.

3. techteacher

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I highly recommend the 261 you will notice the difference after a long day of cutting.

DPx2 and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  4. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I've put 6-8 hours a day over the last 2 weekends and 110% agree with this. Some cedars caught hell to say the least.

DPx2 likes this.
  5. Boone11

Boone11 Active Member

Aug 3, 2011
    central mo
    I have a Stihl FS550 that works well for most trees up to 4 inches with no bending over but it is a bit on the heavy side.

CRE10 likes this.
  6. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I have a friend that is a elderly woman and she likes the www.worx.com battery powered trimmer.

Bootheel Boy likes this.
  7. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    59169C81-FC56-4C98-94AF-E317A38384FA.jpeg This works well on fence rows.

Attached Files:

8. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I've had my Stihl 260 pro chainsaw with 18" bar and Echo weedeater with a tri-star blade like RRMan showed a picture of, for years. They have both worked very well for me. Pay a little more to get quality that will last.

9. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    I plan to buy quality on the chainsaw anyway. I think I've landed on stihl 261c-m, although might still look at the echo 355t as well. I'm still debating on the trimmer. I have all the attachments and extensions for a ryobi, so it'd be nice to find something compatible.
    I think I'm leaning towards an echo for a trimmer tho. 15173189784701813119996.jpg
    I have a thicker 3 blade, but never found it to work well on saplings. Maybe my technique is wrong. The circular blades have worked well for me.

10. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

For those of you that had saws go bad? What went wrong with it? And can I send you my address to ship these saws?

Actually semi serious on the last line. We are in need of saws for my small gas engine class.

11. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Most of my issues we from not using them. Carbs or pressure buld on weedeater dry rots. Then ones I use a lot I haven't had any issues with.

12. RRMan

RRMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    Here are some before and Afters with the 3 blade there is definitely a technique to get it down. Not the best pictures since one is winter and the other is spring time when everything is green but hopefully you get the point.

This is about 2 hours worth of cutting work I have another 2 of picking up all the wood that was cut

Attached Files:

13. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    That's growth is about what I'm looking at in some of my fields. Another year or two and it'll need a chainsaw instead of a blade. That means a lot more work, I'd rather get to it now.
    This is a new one for me. I might have to try the thicker 3 blade I have again. I don't know if the thinner star blade makes a difference versus the wider 3 blade? Does anyone know? Has anyone tried?

14. RRMan

RRMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    My blade is pretty thick but didn't do any research on the blades themselves. I went into Stihl I knew I wanting the 131 and told them what I was doing with it and this is what they recommended. The circular saw blade looking one of course is made for bigger trees and they have one that almost looks like a square and it's for strictly grass. Mine is the Stihl beast blade not sure if that makes a difference.

I've learned technique is everything, it took me a little while to figure it out and when I did I cut stuff without effort

15. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    would a brush hog work better for you?

16. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    Yes and no. Some trees I'll need to chainsaw because I let them go too long. And there are places that the trees are sporadic enough that a trimmer and blade will be easier to get Tordon on after spraying. We have a lot of locust and they are hell on tires as well...

17. techteacher

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Brush cutter on the front of a track loader is what I would recommend. You can do a lot in one days rental.

CRE10 likes this.
  18. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    I've never been one to want to sweat and get a tan when there's brush to clear :D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      348.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      668.5 KB
      Views:
    nevergvup, letemgrow and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  19. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Wanna haul that skid-steer and blade dealio to Callawegia for a weekend?

fl3157 and CRE10 like this.
  20. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    That looks like a solution to a lot of things, including crp maint.

Another good idea for sure