Anyone buy a new chainsaw and trimmer for brush cutting recently?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deerdown, Jan 29, 2018.

1. deerdown

deerdown John 3:15

Jul 5, 2009
    Looking to buy a new chainsaw, anyone buy within the last year? What did you buy and why?
    Also looking to buy a new grass trimmer to put a brush cutter blade on for the small stuff. Same question, what did you buy and why?
    I have older stihl, echo, and craftsman, but think it's time to upgrade.
    Will be doing downed tree structures, tsi, and general crp upkeep.

SWMO1 likes this.
  2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I bought a Stihl 261cm for TSI work a couple weeks ago. It's a way better workhorse than the MS250 I'd been using previously
    18" bar, not too heavy and has enough power for my needs.

fl3157 and DougC like this.

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Got one of each recently, bought Stihl and running the canned gas through them. I got the big weed eater and put the blade that looks like a skill saw blade and man it's awesome for sprouts.

Chain saw was a 271, if you run it all day you won't touch it the next day.

Can't remember the weed eater but it's the first in the industrial class, with a shoulder strap you can get a lot done with little effort.

4. RRMan

RRMan Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    I bought a Stihl 131 and put this blade in the picture on it. It will cut anything up to an inch or so in diameter and I've cut a little bigger. I personally love it. I have cleared probably 3 acres with it and have yet to wear one side of the blade out. I have also used it to cut trails in the timber going to my stands. It's double sided.
    It will wear you out your constantly swinging the trimmer and took me a little time to figure out the best way to cut stuff. I have right at 500 invested in the machine and blade and it's paid for itself already.

There are 3 different blades you can buy for the trimmers you just got to find the one you like. Mine will cut Grass all the way up to 1 plus inch saplings. I figure anything bigger than that needs a chainsaw anyway.
    As stated above wear the shoulder strap and that help allot

Attached Files:

5. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    I always have used a circular saw type blades for brush cutting, seen the 3 blade ones but didn't know how well they worked. I'll YouTube it to see an example.
    Thanks for putting me on that option.

The price points help, thanks. I don't have an unlimited budget, but fairly substantial for this purchase. I don't want to go cheap.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. Ginzu

Ginzu New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I used to run Stihl chainsaws till I bought my place. To do my TSI and brush cleanup I went with Echo. After lots of research and talking with a few dealers I found Sthil and Echo are neck-&-neck quality-wise. The difference comes in the warranty: Echo has 5 years, Stihl has 3 years.
    I am now running the SRM-410U brushcutter and (1x20" and 1x24") both are CS-590 Timberwolf and a Stihl 16".

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I put this on mine, it will cut cedars down in a hurry, not sure what diameter as it's cut anything I wasn't worried about where it fell. Also great for an area that has a lot of maples in the timber.

Attached Files:

8. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    Hate to highjack this thread but what’s an easy to start string trimmer? Dads disabled and mom does most of their yard work. Their biggest complaint is starting the string trimmer.

9. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    That's the type of blade I'm familiar with as well.

10. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I have an fs 130, I have really good luck with both blades mentioned above. The 3 bladed one works better around fencing, it don't grab.

11. I've got a couple 170 Stihl chainsaws and a 271 as well. The 170's are used for lugging around all day taking down 8" cedars and smaller. The 271 is for the larger trees but will wear your bicep down carrying it all day. As long as you keep the chains sharp you'll do fine. As for what brand? You can see I'm buying Stihl but it's more for the dealer support. I've got no echo (or Husqvarna) houses nearby. Buy what you can get excellent support for. Using them as much as I (and others) do, things break. You need to get them repaired quickly and effectively.

BC-Buck likes this.
  12. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I just bought a 261 and then got a 291 for Christmas. I have an old 029 stihl I was tired of fixing so I retired it. I like stihl because there are a lot of dealers around if I need something.

13. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I bought a Husqvarna 465 rancher last year. Great saw that starts right up and has cuts great. A little more power than the more common 455. Runs a 20 inch bar like a dream. However, if you take the cover off with the chain break on it takes an act of Congress to get the break turned of and the cover back on. I'm sure they make a tool to do that but I don't have one and it's a huge pain in the ass. Not sure if you want something that size for what you are using it for.

14. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Bootheel boy
    For some people, ANY gas-powered is hard to start. Have them look at some of the new battery-powered, though weight might be an issue.

Cook, Clucker and Bootheel Boy like this.
  15. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I own a stihl 310 chainsaw. I use it for most of my cutting and it has a 20'' bar and I have had 0 issues since I bought it in 05. I have a 180c for brush cutting that is ok. I don't use it as much so I have had to replace the carburetor on it.

16. Inventive

Inventive New Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Daviess County
    Picked up a closeout special Echo CS-500P, they released the 501P last year at this time, and the dealer still had a few old 500Ps on the shelf back in August.
    50cc, running a 20" bar, keeps up with my dad's 60cc Stihl... and was a LOT cheaper.
    I've cut a ton of trees down with it, have yet to regret not going the Stihl route.

17. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Muffler mod the 291 and tune it to 12 to 13.5. Different saw after that!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  18. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    It's hard to go wrong with the Stihl 441c :banana:

In all honesty you're better off buying a pro grade saw than a homeowner saw. The Stihl 261 will smoke a 290 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I use my ported 261c the most for firewood and the 441c on big timber. For deer related stuff it's hard to beat an Echo 355 top handle saw and a Stihl HT132 pole saw. Echo has a pretty awesome warranty too.

19. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I bought the Stihl KM90 with attachments for weedeater, brush cutter and pole pruner. Very easy start and the attachments are a breeze to change out.

20. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone. You've given me some good idea what to look at and compare for my needs.

I like the echo warranty, but stihl dealers nearby is something I hadn't considered for a chainsaw and trimmer purchase.

A little more research on sizes, And it's time to go shopping!

Thank you !